"Tate, I don't think- Tate's arm suddenly on mine interrupts me.

"My parents will be there. it'll just be a casual, family-friendly dinner, I promise."

I don't know what it is about Tate that persuades me. Maybe it's those famously annoying Carver dimples I've come to have a love/hate relationship with, or perhaps it's simply just Tate Carver himself.

Something about him is so strangely compulsive, that I quite literally can't stop myself, and I agree to his request. Tate pulls out of the driveway and is about halfway down the road when Tyler and Lyle finally return home. I could already tell by the way Lyle was thrusting his tongue into his cheek, he saw Tate's car and wasn't happy about it.

I turn around quickly, advancing inside as casually as I can to avoid him.

"Tell Tyler and Lyle I'm still hungover," I inform amber on my way past her to the stairs.

She looks at me wide-eyed, "Are you crazy? they just saw you outside perfectly sober."

"Okay, well, tell them I'm on my period. and I have cramps." I slap my hands against my thighs in annoyance.

I didn't feel like repeating last night's awful events as I made my way to my room, locking the door behind me. I didn't need the third degree from Tyler, telling me how much trouble I've caused. or having to listen to Lyle's ridiculous responsibility speech, that still didn't make any sense to me.

So I lay on my bed with a pillow over my head, blocking out the sound of Lyle banging against the door, telling me to open it. This day was really was starting to give me a bad sense of déjà vu.

"Evie, open the damn door, please." His voice is so muffled. Yup, history is now officially repeating itself.

I sit up, "Go away, Lyle. I have cramps!" I feel my phone vibrate from beneath me.

The screen lights up with Tate's name and a love heart next to it. I squint my eyes due to the bright light as I stare at the message in puzzlement. I didn't remember giving him my number. Then it finally registers. Tate had added himself to my contacts.

Tate <3:

'Hey beautiful, hope you have a good day. Don't let that asshole ruin it.'

That asshole, better known as Lyle Carver. I sigh at the text. Well, it's a little late for that. I mutter to myself, Listening to Lyle continue to knock on the door. I knew he wouldn't leave until I opened it like the pushover he is.

I finally open the door, "Why can't you leave me alone?" I fumed.

Lyle's taken back by my tone of voice, but he quickly recovers.

"The fuck was he doing here?" Lyle invites himself into my room, pushing past me in the process.

I raise my brows at the audacity he had. "Not that it's any of your concern," I hold my phone up in his face, "But he kindly returned this."

Lyle's emerald eyes dart to the screen. A line of vexation creasing between his brows, as he squints his eyes like he's reading something, shit, the message. I pull the phone away when I realize.

Lyle's chuckling, but there's no amusement on his face. That's suddenly confirmed when he snatches my phone from my hand.

"What're you doing?" I worried, reaching for it. Lyle dodges every attempt I make.

He holds my phone above his head, "Why is he texting you?"

I laugh, not because this situation is funny, but because I was conventionally fed up with Lyle. "Drop the big brother act. In case you hadn't noticed, I already have one of those."