Epilogue 1| The Queen

Start from the beginning

Eight hundred years ago, Prajanagara was a thalassocratic empire called Mahawijaya, marked by its conquests that extended throughout the southeastern globe, before it fell, and the neighbouring countries started separating themselves. Centuries before the present great empires even existed.

The years didn't get any easier for them as two other provinces declared their independence as a result of an authoritarian regime by her husband's grandfather. As their defence weakened, neighbouring behemoths like Morioka circled them like vultures, waiting for a moment of weakness.

Plentiful sun and bountiful supplies used to be the making of a great nation. But nowadays the world had settled on guns, aircraft and warships— things the modern empires like Angletonia had.

Avantie had always known that something was strange with the way their daughter was raised. She was always being kept to the side each time the princesses made a dance performance, receiving extra classes alongside her brothers, and taught the western etiquette.

Her husband would always receive proposals for his mistresses' daughters, securing them with sons of nobility and high-ranking officials; but none for Gianita.

As she gave him an earful for neglecting their daughter, he calmly told her; "Don't worry, dear. I'm saving her for the best."

Just for whom did he claim to save their daughter? She was prepared to throw a fit if he didn't measure up to it. Until one day, everything made sense. Gianita had received a marriage proposal from the new Emperor of Angletonia.

The King has made his intentions known, but as her mother, she had the final say to seal the arrangement.

"The Emperor of Angletonia— Cal Raedan Leroy, what is he like?" she asked her private investigator.

"He's twenty-seven, widowed, with an apparent heir."

"I know that, but what is he like? How was he toward... his mother?" she inquired. "Get me everything you can find about him."

A week later, the man came with his final reports, and the news of their engagement was broadcasted throughout the country.

The revelation of their union caused an uproar among the women at court. The mistresses who had just accepted proposals from governors for their daughters were now trying to bring Gianita down because her husband-to-be was a widower; spreading rumours that her marriage was doomed to fail.

Avantie knew better than to feed their petty envious rage, calmly leading her daughter through her wedding preparations.

"Marriage is a give and take," she told her during one of the fitting sessions of her wedding attire. "That includes the marriage bed. Remember Gianita, you're not just a wife, nor a mistress; you're the Empress. You have the right to demand pleasure from your husband."

Gianita twiddled in her lace white kebaya. "You think he would care about what I need, or even listen to me when he never talks to me?"

Avantie tilted her head. "You haven't met him yet, it's too early to pass a judgment."

"Mother, why are you doing this? You're willing to gamble my life and future because he has an empire?"

"A Queen never gambles," she asserted.

A few minutes later a couple of maidservants came in carrying some headpieces that she would wear at her wedding. An ornate crown was attached to her head, perfecting the entire look. Gianita looked even more beautiful than she did on her wedding day.

Avantie looked upon her daughter with pride. "My daughter, the Empress of Angletonia."

***

Months had passed since Gianita departed for Angletonia, and already their union had been proven resourceful. With military aid from Angletonia, tumultuous provinces were quickly managed, Prajan security strengthened and Morioka had taken a step back from invading their country.