51 | Midnight Cravings

"I told you, I'll be fine! Didn't Mother tell you how good I was while you were gone?" Junior squealed as they bid him goodbye before leaving on their honeymoon, or better referred to as a short getaway since it would last for several days. In the previous week, while his father was away, Junior was unmistakably well behaved but he had never been left alone by both. Of course, they had asked Philippe to stay in the palace. He would become Cal's representative, but also to 'babysit' Junior.

"Are you sure, baby? We could bring you along if you wish," Cal offered. He was having second thoughts about taking their son with them, which was far from an ideal scenario for a honeymoon, but if they couldn't help it...

"Forget it!" He turned his small back at them, voice wavering but remained level-headed. "I'm not a baby anymore. No need to waste your time, you need to catch your train."

It was almost hilarious to hear the notion of them having to 'catch the train' since the Imperial Train only carried the Imperial Family. They didn't take the aircraft to remain low key, for it wasn't an official visit but a personal one. Air travel was fairly new, and the Angletonian Imperial Family was among the first few countries to own a private aircraft, so any use of it would attract public attention.

As soon as they got out on the porch, three different cars were waiting for them. A fine limo would be their lift to the station, one car was for the servants and one for the cargo to carry their luggage. They didn't bring much, for they would only be gone for a few days.

Gigi hugged Junior one last time before she left, kissing the top of his head, nose and temple. "We'll miss you," she embraced him tightly. She'd never spent a day without him since they met.

"Promise me you will telephone me every day, and night before bed," he whispered quietly, his eyes shining wet. She smiled, realizing all of the prideful act was a façade.

"We'll not sleep a wink before that," Gigi smiled reassuringly.

"Just remember, if you're feeling lonely or scared, you can ask Philippe to stay in your room," added Cal after his farewell.

Junior puffed his cheeks out indignantly. "Just go!"

They all soon departed, waving at Junior as the palace became smaller before disappearing from their view completely.

With it being a private trip, they didn't bring a large entourage. Gigi only brought her head handmaiden, Gita Dian, a cook and a housemaid. Who knew if she needed help to zip up a dress or tighten some lace?

But Cal's decision about bringing Inferno was completely out of nowhere to her mind. Should they really be bringing him? He was a horse! Had they not any horses available at their destination? But as Cal bragged about how Inferno was a special horse and they had a special bond and no other horses could match up to him, Gigi knew she was on the losing side.

It reminded her of some of her half-sisters who'd always insisted on bringing a doll or a special pillow during their royal visits for they wouldn't be able to sleep without it.

Vasilione was a county in southwest Angletonia, known for its picturesque beaches, harbour villages and wild moors, only a few hours away to travel from the capital by train. It was the birthplace and home to Emilian Leroy, the founding matriarch of the House of Leroy. With its panoramic landscape yet tranquil atmosphere, it was lined with public and private resorts, providing a place for a calm and peaceful retreat in the countryside.

Cal and Gigi would be staying in one of the imperial family's private properties, a small coastal cottage boasting miles of uninterrupted views over the rolling hills and sea in the distance. The sandy beach was only a walk away, and he planned on taking her horseriding on the beach tomorrow. Cal also told her that to keep its ownership a secret, they allowed the cottage to be managed and taken care of by a tenant farmer.