Chapter 7: Bright new day

Start from the beginning

"Your shady groves, your pleasing wife, And fruitful fields, my dearest friend, You'll leave together with your life: Alone the cypress..."

On that last line Hadrian hung his head in silence, letting a tear drip down his right cheek. A couple people began openly weeping, including Gaius who with quivering lips buried his face in his partners shoulder. This continued for a minute until the crowd once again fell silent.

Hadrian gestured to a servant stage left who then ran behind the stage. To stage right, he gestured to the retainer musicians who began to play a tune well fit for the background ambience of a drinkhouse. The servant ran onto stage and handed Hadrian a bottle of wine.

"After your death, the lavish heir Will quickly drive away his woe; The wine you kept with so much care Along the marble floor shall flow!"

Hadrian opened the wine, sending the cork flying over the heads of the crowd. The crowd remained silent.

"It's what he would have wanted." Hadrian responded.

From then, the crowd slowly dispersed to the tables of food and wine. The servants sang and danced, and dignitaires chatted over wine.

"Impressive show you've put on here, Hadrian!" said a politician.

"And on such short notice!" added a second, shorter politician.

"I do my best, sir." Hadrian replied.

"And of course our condolences." said a third, broader politician.

"Everyone at this estate is deeply in mourning. But that's not the only thing to be done, and I'm sure enough that it isn't the sole reason you fine gentlemen are here."

"Hadrian, you know us too well! Now, not to be gauche but the news of Alexioses sudden passing has caused concern that certain obligations..."

Alexander then injected himself into the group, cutting off the second, shorter politician.

"Of course, of course, obligations! As you know, I am the son of Alexios, and ergo the rightful heir of his estate and I should take care of any business with said estate..."

"Oh alright then. Can your excellency assure that the regular shipments of wine will continue?" said the first politician.

"Hm?" Alexander mumbled in confusion.

"Your estate has one of the largest vineyards in Egypt, and it's been supplying our district with wine for the last six years." responded the third, broader politician.

"Oh um, well uh, of course.." Alexander sputtered on.

"Don't worry, the crates are already on their way. I can assure you that things will continue to run smoothly." Hadrian interjected.

"Ah good man yourself!" shouted the first politician. "Now that business is taken care of, let's enjoy the merriments!"

"In Alexioses name, of course." responded the second, shorter politician.

"Of course." Hadrian assured. "Enjoy the wine!"

The politicians sauntered away. Hadrian intended to do the same, but before he could Alexios leaned and whispered:

"If it weren't for all the people here I would have you gutted for humiliating me like that."

***

"Get over here ye slow bastards, we are on a schedule!"

Hundreds of servants were running in every direction. Some were shoveling charcoal onto a hearth, some were refilling the kettles above their roaring fires, and yet more were carrying crates of wine and raw vegetables. And standing in the middle of it all was Cornelia, screaming directions and giving orders as if she were a general in charge of a legion.

"Did I catch you at a bad time?" Hadrian muttered.

"Ah nooo, I got basically nothing on my plate at the moment. Watch ya say bout chatting over some wine?" Cornelia countered.

"Sorry about the workload. I'm just checking in to see how things are running."

"Things are runnin' bout as well as can be expected." said Cornelia.

A few feet away from them two pairs of servants each carrying a crate crashed into each other, bursting the crates apart and dropping raw vegetables & bottles of wine all over the floor.