Chapter 6: Mean you his majesty?

Kiya was out front of the Alexios property, tending to the plants that lined the pathway. Calm humming of a tune not yet written down, olive skin a comfortable warmth. She saw a small child running towards her from a distance.

"Alexas!" she yelled out. "What are you doing out so early?"

"I wanted to say hi!" the little girl spoke with glee.

"But I haven't even made you breakfast yet. Why not say hi to me then?"

"I just. Got excited." the exasperated child said.

"Well if you are going to be here, I want to ask you something."

"Hm?" the child said.

"What's over there?" Kiya pointed behind Alexas.

Alexas turned her head to see what the fuss was about, but nothing out of the ordinary stood out. Puzzled, Alexas turned back to clarify what Kiya possibly could have meant. But to her shock, she had vanished! The only thing in sight was the recently ruffled flower bush Kiya was just working on. A beautiful flower beckoned her. She knew this was her only chance, no one around.

She will finally eat the flower. It couldn't escape. Both hands on the stem, and her mouth agape, she went to munch down...

"BOO!!!"

Kiya jumped out of the bush, scaring Alexas. Alexas fell back, hitting her head on the ground.

"Oh no no no no...." Kiya said. "Are you alright?"

"Don't tell anyone about the flower." the little girl said, signaling that she was unharmed.

"What flower?" a reassured Kiya jokingly said, giving a knowing look.

"The flower I tried to munch on?!?" Alexas said, annoyed and confused.

Kiya felt a sense of completeness in this, a rather wholesome moment to remember.
Not a thing could ruin such a pristine morning. That was until she saw a man running down the pathway to the palisade, tripping over himself, screaming bloody murder.

"Theodore!" she said, recognizing him as one of the cooks, "What's the matter, you look to have seen a ghost!"

"I am most fearful for that I may have! O horror, horror, horror!

Tongue nor heart Cannot conceive nor name thee!" the distressed cook spat out in elegiactic meter.

"Take a breath and calm down. Say it again, clearly, without mincing your words."
holding the small child close, hands over the little one's ears, Kiya demanded.

"Miss, I very well fear there to be dark times ahead. Our beloved magistrate and father is unarguably deceased, in his chamber one sees nothing but red and hears nothing but possibly the faintest gargle from the gasses escaping the new orifices of his horrifically desiccated corpse. May Osiris's scale weigh true, for so he may find himself past the gates of Aaru." Theodore spoke with a steeled gaze.

"What are we to do then?" asked Kiya.

"I don't know, miss." stated the cook.

"Go tell Hadrian, I'll see what I can do here."

Theodore nodded and ran off to the stables, hopped on a camel and sped on his way to the great library.

****

"I was out here tending to the plants when I was informed about the tragedy." a collected Kiya discussed with a guard.

"Indeed, indeed. Was there anything else you saw?"

"Sadly that's all I know. Though, I'm sure the cook will be able to discuss a bit more with you once he gets back." Kiya responded.

"Is that him?" asked the guard, pointing to a man running towards them in a mad dash not a soul could soon forget. Running over toy houses and fruit baskets, past camels and shops, caring not but for his destination.

"ARE YOU ALRIGHT?" the man yelled from afar. Kiya gestured for the man to come closer. Finally, the man arrived and once again asked:

"Are you alright? Was what I heard true?"

"I'm fine Hadrian. But not all is right." Kiya responded.

"Oh gods, what about Alexios? Was his fate just as horrific as I had heard?" Hadrian asked.

"That and much more." the guard stated. "It was truly a violent affair. With how much blood and gore was all over the place, one would be surprised to see the semi-recognizable corpse!"

Kiya punched the guard in the shoulder. At first he was confused, but then he looked a short distance to his right and noticed the shaking, crying child just out of the reach of sound-dampening hands.

"What happened to father? Is he ok? What's going on?" she asked, trembling.

"Oh. That." stated the guard. "Don't worry. There were some bad people around here, but you can trust me to keep everyone safe. I promise."

The guard patted her on the head.

"T-thanks, I guess." the child stuttered.

A brief silence struck the gathering. Soon enough, it was broken by an approaching carriage.

"You know you could have waited a bit and rode with us?" the esteemed Heron stated after the camel-pulled vehicle was brought to a halt.

"For all I know, everyone here could have been killed by whatever brought down Alexios if I didn't leave immediately," Hadrian said. "And didnt I get here before you?"

"Only because with such a serious matter I had to discuss it with some good friends of mine who might be able to help." Heron responded.

"Oh? What kind of friends?" Asked Hadrian.

"Not to be discussed in such an open forum. Are there any suspects?" Heron turned to the guard and asked.

"Hm?" the guard said, having not been paying attention. "Oh, yea, I have some suspicions."

"Who might they be if you don't mind speaking?" Heron stated.

"Well..."

A group of carriages converged on the small gathering, stopping just short of running them over. For a moment nothing happened, but then some men in rather official attire stepped out of the carriage. One of those men was Alexander, a distraught slave with a bandaged face to his side.

"I came as soon as I heard the news! What terrible tragedy it is!" Alexander exclaimed.

"What have you been up to, friend?" asked Hadrian.

"I went to spend time with friends. Good friends, wonderful amenities." Alexander spewed forth. "But that's not of matter, what measures are to be taken in these trying times? Is there anything I can do?"

"It would probably be best for you to hide. After all, who's to say that you wouldn't be next?" Heron professed.

"Oh, that just wouldn't do. My father's estate is large and needs to be managed, surely it would fall into disrepair if I abandoned my rightful position!" Alexander exclaimed.

"Ah, of course, of course. In that case, the biggest imperative is to find documents that would indicate the proceedings Alexios set aside for something like this. Alexios would have such documents, right Hadrian?" questioned Heron.

"Oh, most certainly. He was not the man to leave things unplanned." Hadrian stated.

"Ehm, I don't particularly understand the necessity." said Alexander.

"It's best to make sure we do what he would have wanted, right? Certainly, this wouldn't have been taken lightly."

"Well then. It does slow things down, but I suppose what must be done will be done. Farewell!" Alexander replied kindly, before getting on his chariot and riding back into town.

"Farewell." said Hadrian in turn.

"Ok are we just gonna preten.." the guard tried to speak up before he was stopped by Kiya with a swift smack to the back of the head. Kiya then gestured to the still present small child.

"Why is she still here?" the guard asked.

"I'll bring her inside." stated Kiya before picking up the girl and walking her way up the path.

"Well then." sighed the guard. "Are we all going to pretend that he didn't just say that?"

"For now, yes." Heron said, Hadrian nodding in agreement.

"But why? I mean we basically got a confession of murder right there!"

"We have nothing. And you will keep that in mind." Heron exclaimed.

"Is that a threat? Why are you doing this? What's in it for you?" aggressively questioned the guard.

Heron, ignoring the query, walked to the cart that brought him here. Hopping into the seat, he leaned out his head and shouted:

"Remember to look around every corner, and never forget anything you see. But all the same, know well that you know nothing. I'll be back soon enough."

"Did you understand a single word he said?" the unnerved guard asked immediately after the cart wheeled off.

"To be honest, not especially." stated Hadrian. "But we will soon enough."