Chapter 12

"I almost had him..." Ambrosia cried out in pain and sorrow, as Emerson nuzzled her comfortingly, the rain beginning to calm down around them. "He was right there... I almost had him... and... and then..." She broke down into tears unable to finish her sentence.

     "I'm sorry, Ambrosia," Emerson said softly, comforting his wife through her heart break. She now hadn't only lost one son... she had lost two... "There was nothing you could have done," he continued. "You tried..."

(Drawing by littlekitty1346)

     "He... he's gone..." Ambrosia whispered softly, all the other Cuddle Pups huddling around her sadly. "Branch is gone..."

Emerson sighed, as he looked away from his grieving wife.

"We... we have to go," he said with a heavy heart. "We must find our new home. It's not safe here."

The pack nodded at their leader's command, but as they began to walk away, Ambrosia remained laying on the ground, crying softly. She didn't want to leave. She couldn't leave him here... all alone...

Terk also wasn't one of the Cuddle Pups walking away with the pack. Instead, she walked to the edge of the cliff, looking over the side of it to try and spot her best friend, but he was nowhere in sight. He was actually gone... forever...

     Slowly, the young Cuddle Pup looked up at the sky, the moon beginning to poke through the clouds, as the rain trickled down onto her.

     "Aaaaaoooooo!" she howled loudly up at the sky, tears flowing from her eyes. "Aaaaaoooo!"

     Hearing the heartbreaking sound, all of the Cuddle Pups stopped their retreat, turning to look at the young child, knowing how much she and Ambrosia were suffering right now. They were the only two who actually excepted Branch. The only two who actually loved him...

Ambrosia looked up sadly, seeing the young pup mourning her son, as she cried tears of pain and sorrow.

     "Aaaaaaoooooo!" Ambrosia finally howled along, looking up at the sky, as she slowly rose to her feet, heading over to join Terk at the edge of the cliff where she had last seen her son alive. "Aaaaaoooooo!"

     Soon... the whole pack was howling up at the moon, mourning the lose of one of their own. No matter how different he was... he was still family... if only they could have seen that while he was still there...

"Aaaaaaoooooooo!"