Chapter 8

Branch ran to a small lake, sitting down to look at his reflection in the crystal blue water. Why did he look so different from the others? Why couldn't he just fit in?

     Angry at himself for being a freak, he began scooping up mud in his hands, and smearing it all over himself, trying to hide his freakish appearance.

(Drawing by littlekitty1346)

     "What are you doing, Branch?" he suddenly heard in a soft voice from behind him, causing him to jump slightly in surprise.

     He turned, his fear fading instantly when he saw his mother.

     "Why am I so different?" Branch finally asked, looking up at his mom with sad eyes. "Because you're covered with mud, that's why," Ambrosia joked, beginning to wipe the mud off of her son.

"Emerson said I didn't belong in the..." Branch started.
"Close your mouth," his mother warned, wiping the mud off of his face.
"Emerson said I don't belong in the family," Branch finished, pushing his mother's paw away from himself. "Never mind what Emerson said. Now hold still."

She flipped him over with he nose, trying to clean off his tummy, but he quickly squirmed out of her grasp, rising to his four feet in anger.

"But look at me!" he yelled, tears streaming from his crystal blue eyes.

Ambrosia looked at him for a moment, seeing his sadness. It broke her heart to see her son so upset.

    "I am, Branch," she finally stated softly. "And do you know what I see? I see two eyes, like mine. And a nose, somewhere..." She wiped the mud off of his nose, causing Branch to giggle softly. "Ah, here it is," she said, licking his nose lovingly. "Two ears... and let's see... what else?"
"Four paws?" Branch suggested, raising his hands and feet.

"That's right," Ambrosia said with a slight smile.

Branch raised his hand up to his mother's front paw, but... they where different. Not the same even in the slightest.

 Not the same even in the slightest

(Drawing by littlekitty1346)

His smile quickly faded, seeing that he was still different from the pack.

Ambrosia watched as his ears drooped, his head lowering in sadness.

"Close your eyes," she finally said softly.

Branch looked up at her confused, but obeyed, closing his eyes gently.

"Now forget what you see," she said, carefully raising his hand up to his chest. "What do you feel?"

"My heart?" Branch answered, still confused.
"Come here," Ambrosia said, gently pulling Branch over to her, so he could place his hand on her chest.

"Your heart," he said with a slight smile, looking up at his mother.

"See? They're exactly the same," Ambrosia said, gently licking her son's face. "Emerson just can't see that."
"I'll make him see it," Branch said, his smile growing. "I'll be the best Cuddle Pup ever!"
"Oh, I bet you will!" Ambrosia laughed, nuzzling her son lovingly.

"I love you, mom," Branch said, hugging his arms around her head which was six times the size of him. "I love you too, Branch."