It was then that she could hear his hitched breath, words catching in his throat and the slight shake of a breathy inhale and, well, long story short: there he was, stuttering over his words, sounding like he was once again, the verge of tears and he apologized one too many times for Y/n to keep hold of her patience.

She wondered how long he'd go on as she stood there listening to his trembling, watery apologies.

"I—I mean! Like— I could just help you around, you know? A-and I'm not saying you need it, because you've been doing fine on your own or— at least I think— that's what it seems like, but then again, who knows? You could have a helper around the corner— not saying that you need one, obviously! But if you don't have one, I kind of want to ask how you got here all by yourself? And—! Like— that's not to say that it's impossible— or no, not impossible, that's not the word I was looking for, I'm just trying to say—"

Y/n stopped listening to him after a while when curiosity got the better of her thinking as she wondered more about the boy.

"Hey so, what's your name?" She cut in, not really sure what he was on about anymore, and he seemed to tense tenfold again.

"M-Midoriya Izuku!" He squeaked and Y/n smiled.

"That's so cool." Y/n offered a friendly thumbs up before turning on her heel and hurrying the other way, excusing herself from the situation immediately. She somehow felt like she'd added to whatever horrible experiences made him so teary and unsure of himself.

He seemed vulnerable, careful, not very compatible with the kind of person Y/n was and she wasn't interested in finding out what the exact percentage of their non-compatibility was. 

Though, his words did interest her (one sentence out of his five-paragraph ramble). Midoriya seemed to be perceptive, even when he didn't seem to be trying at that moment, considering he was too busy apologizing for something that wasn't his fault. His mind presented important questions within seconds of taking note of one thing and Y/n couldn't help but linger on one.

I kind of want to ask how you got here all by yourself?

The age-old question. 

She found a lot of people asking her the exact same thing everywhere she went and honestly, their guess was as good as hers. Like she'd already established, it was a sense of just knowing. That's all she's ever been able to describe it as. And that was her current concern— the fact that she was a mystery to herself.

If she was going to be mysterious, she wanted to at least be the only person with the key to the secrets locked inside of herself. But it's what she was doing at the most prestigious hero school in Japan, after all.

To figure out the puzzle she was and finally sort out the pieces of herself.

And she meant all the pieces. The middle pieces, the corner pieces, the missing pieces.

"Ah, wait!" Midoriya was at her side again, panting and mumbling before Y/n had even gotten the chance to completely register his presence. "I just have to ask, I'm so sorry! Erm: what is your quirk?"

Y/n could feel a smile pull at her lips. 

She'd been asked the same thing over and over again. She'd been teased a little, laughed at in all good-hearted nature, but she couldn't say it didn't bug her. Not the teasing, no. It was the fact she couldn't deny what the teases were.

("How are you gonna be a good hero if you don't even know your own quirk?" "How do you know you even have a quirk if you can't even say what it is? You're so funny, Y/n!" "Will you even be registered as having a quirk if you don't know it?")