Chapter 32

I woke up to a coughing fit. Not that it was new. Neither was the hand thay caressed by back as I did. "You don't need to stay by my side," I reminded him, "If you have something to do, you can go do it."

"It before day break there is nothing to do but be by your side Love," he assured mee, still keeping a hand on my back. His thumb gently caressed at the base of a wing. I was calmed so easily by such a touch.

I curled my wings back around me and fell back down. It's been an adjustment tk having wings out all the time, and two sets at that. But I don't think I can put them away anymore. Adrian hasn't said anything about it, but I have been sick.

I rolled to be able to face Adoran who was stoll sitting up in bed, shirtless. He smiled down at me. It was such an easy and happy smile. I've seen it so often now that I'm back.

He reached over and put a hand on my forehead. "Feels like your fever is finally gone, how about you try going outside today," he offered, "Can't get better staying in bed."

"That's not what your were saying last week," I pointed out.

He leaned down to put a kiss on my temple. "You were barely able to stand last week," he reminded me. He slid back down under the covers. "Now you can still get a few more hours of rest before the sun rises."

I snuggled into my wings tighter, enjoying my own warmth. Yet there was one last thing in my mind. "How's Sypha?" I asked. That was the one question I asked every time I could manage to.

Adrian reach over my frame and pulled me in to cuddle. I unraveled my wings to wrap them around him as well. "Same as before, staying in her room, talking to no one," he sighed.

"I'll try talking to her tomorrow," I told him. I wasn't sure I could do anything, but I needed to try.

"Rest for now," he told me in a voice that revealed he was close to falling back to sleep as well.

- * -

Sypha didn't answer the door when I knocked, not even when I told her it was me. With some words of assurement I went to venture outside.

It wasn't yet too early, to there were long casted shadows. Yet there was a bussle everywhere. So many people were still around. Ive never been welcomed easily in large groups of people, so it was a bit unsettling. Even though no one was paying me any attention.

I couldn't spot Adrien, but I knew there as somewhere I needed to go. People paused their work as I passed. Of course they would, I had wings sprouting from my back. They were no longer white, but more so a brown, reminding me of wings you find on a sparrow. I just kept my gate and was determined to my destination.

A soft smoke played on my lips as it came into sight. That weird tree, with the crack down the middle. Trevor and I would play there when we could growing up. So many times would we just hide in the trunk.

There umong it's roots sat a stone slab. A head stone, craved with only the Belmont crest. There had been no body found, so it was more for memory than marking an actual grave.

Its been a week since it all ended. I'd been terribly sick for most of it, and wa sonly on an up turn. After all my body went through, a week seemed short. I let out a deep breath and sat down in front of his head stone. I never got to say good bye properly. "If anyone was gonna kill death, of course it was going to be you," I sighed. "There's so much I wanted to tell you. But none of that really matters. All I will ever have to say to you it thank you."

I turned my haze up to the sky. "Thank you for being my famoly. For being the only thing good for most of my life. For being the idiot to kill death." I let out a soft laugh trying not to cry. "I promise you, I'll help Sypha, and the kid. I promise."

I stood up and took a step forward, putting my hand against the tree. So many memories her, and the tree itself was so old. The split was no help. I pooled my power into my ahdn, healing the tree, or trying to. All that happened was a bone of flowers sprouted and grew from withing the tree. Of course the tree was perfect the way it was, broken just like the rest of us.

I took a deep breath and turned to leave. I noticed two people approaching me. One of course I knew was gonna hunt me down at some point today. The other seemed to be just following him around.

"I thought I'd find you here," Adrian commented.

I shrugged, brushing grass from my knees. "Finally got around to saying goodbye," I confessed.

"You must be Grace," the woman at his side said. I was mildly taken aback. The only person I ever got used to calling me by that name was Adrian. Though he was the one I've been around the most. "He was fretting over you the entire time you were sick."

I gave Adrian a glare, "I told him not to." He gave me a shit eating grin. "But he never got around to telling me about you."

"I'm Greta," she introduced herself while sticking out her hand. "I'm the head woman of these people."

"Pleasure to meet you," I told her with a smile. One that hid my teeth.

"There's some plans I want to bring you up to date with," Adrian commented, taking a step closer to me.