Chapter 17: The Next Step

"So you like Selena, huh?" Tori asked Stefan as they waited for Selena and Brinley in the parking lot with their groceries.

"Yeah, why?" Stefan asked.

"I was just checking that's all." Tori answered and looked down.

"Protective friend, I get it." Stefan replied with a lazy shrug.

"I know you and Brinley have something too."

"What are you talking about?"

"It doesn't take a genius to know that you're into each other. I see it in the way you look at each other. I know that look. But you also look at Selena the same way." Tori answered.

Stefan took what Tori said to heart. He really liked Selena and he felt that instant connection with her when they first met. He couldn't and wouldn't deny that. Selena laughed at his jokes. She listened to what he had to say and vise versa. Selena was smart and sassy. She was blunt with him. She was funny and full of life. She wanted to live her life to the fullest even after what she went through and he admired that about her. Even after the way they had met he was drawn to her as she was drawn to him. But he couldn't debt his connection with Brinley either. She was sarcastic and funny. She was her own person and she didn't care what others thought about her. Even though he didn't know her as long as he knew Selena he wanted to know more about her.

"I'll be completely honest with you, Tori. Back in high school I was a player. If I saw a girl I wanted I'd chase her until I got her. Before things got too serious I'd wimp out and dump the girl." Stefan explained and sighed. He wasn't proud of his past. He regretted hurting all the girls he had gone out with. If he could, he would take it all back.

"What changed?" Tori asked.

"After graduating high school I wanted to get serious in life. I realized that I didn't want this womanizing lifestyle anymore. I was over it all and vowed to never hurt another girl like that again." Stefan answered.

"But you might."

"What do you mean?"

"I know you like Brinley and Selena. But you'll have to choose and hurt the other. I've known them both since college and they don't deserve any more heartache. The three of us have been through enough, I mean. If you hurt one, you'll hurt me too because they're my friends." Tori answered.

"Wow," Stefan mumbled to himself. "I never thought about that."

"Well it's true... unfortunately."

"I don't want to hurt your friends, trust me." Stefan said.

"I know you don't." Tori responded.

Brinley and Selena left the store and headed for the car ready to go.

"Y'all ready?" Selena asked.

"I was about to ask the same thing." Tori replied with a light chuckle.

"Well I'm ready to end this once and for all." Brinley said with a grin.

"That makes four of us." Stefan chuckled and they got in the car and left.