96. never-ending stares.

Start from the beginning

"Voldemort let Malfoy's father join," snapped Antheia. "Who's to say he wouldn't pass on the legacy?"

"Antheia, that might just be paranoia," muttered Hermione.

"She's not being paranoid," said Harry angrily. "She's right."

"Harry, you're just saying that because you agree with her."

Annoyed, but absolutely convinced he was right, Harry snatched up a pile of filthy Quidditch robes and left the room; Mrs. Weasley had been urging them for days not to leave their washing and packing until the last moment. When he entered the kitchen it was to find Fleur sitting at the kitchen table, in full flow about plans for her wedding to Bill, while Mrs. Weasley kept watch over a pile of self-peeling sprouts, looking bad-tempered.

"... Bill and I 'ave almost decided on only two bridesmaids, Ginny and Gabrielle will look very sweet togezzer. I am theenking of dressing zem in pale gold - pink would of course be 'orrible with Ginny's 'air -"

"Ah, Harry!" said Mrs. Weasley loudly, cutting across Fleur's monologue. "Good, I wanted to explain about the security arrangements for the journey to Hogwarts tomorrow. We've got Ministry cars again, and there will be Aurors waiting at the station -"

"Is Tonks going to be there?" asked Harry, handing over his Quidditch things.

"No, I don't think so, she's been stationed somewhere else from what Arthur said."

"She 'as let 'erself go, zat Tonks," mused Fleur, examining her own stunning reflection in the back of a teaspoon. "A big mistake, if you ask -"

"Yes, thank you," said Mrs. Weasley tartly, cutting across Fleur again. "You'd better get on, Harry, I want the trunks ready tonight, if possible, so we don't have the usual last-minute scramble."

And in fact, their departure the following morning was smoother than usual. The Ministry cars glided up to the front of The Burrow to find them waiting: trunks packed, Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, safely enclosed in his traveling basket, and Hedwig, Aura, Ron's owl Pigwidgeon, and Ginny's new purple Pygmy Puff, Arnold, in cages.

"Au revoir, 'Arry," said Fleur throatily, kissing him goodbye. Ron hurried forwards, looking hopeful, but Ginny stuck out her foot and Ron fell, sprawling in the dust at Fleur's feet. Furious, red-faced, and dirt-spattered, he hurried into the car without saying goodbye.

There was no cheerful Hagrid waiting for them at King's Cross Station. Instead, two grim-faced, bearded Aurors in dark Muggle suits moved forwards the moment the cars stopped and, flanking the party, marched them into the station without speaking.

"Quick, quick, through the barrier," said Mrs. Weasley, who seemed a little flustered by this austere efficiency. "Harry and Antheia had better go first, with -" She looked enquiringly at two of the Aurors, who nodded briefly, seized Harry and Antheia's upper arms, and attempted to steer them towards the barrier between platforms nine and ten.

"I can walk, thanks," said Harry irritably, jerking his arm out of the Auror's grip. The Auror moved away and took hold of Antheia's other arm.

"I'm fine as well," said Antheia brightly. "If I die while crossing this barrier, I'll bring myself back!"

The Aurors did not look amused at this statement. Harry let out a chuckle before Mrs. Weasley looked strictly at him.

"All right, tough crowd ..." muttered Antheia, pushing her trolley forward. She found herself, a second later, standing on platform nine and three-quarters, where the scarlet Hogwarts Express stood belching steam over the crowd. Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys joined her within seconds.