CHAPTER SEVEN, homecoming

Start from the beginning

Ophelia's eyes scan the entrance of the school, her lips forming into a small frown when she doesn't spot Eric anywhere. "I don't see him yet."

"Maybe he's inside." Fallon tries to keep Ophelia thinking of the positive, linking her arm with the dark-skinned girl while gently guiding her inside the school. "Come on."

They get their tickets once they get inside and go into the gym. The gym was decorated nicely and everything looked great for homecoming. Ophelia and Fallon even took some pictures right when they walked in the gym, deciding it would be fun. Ophelia noticed that some of her friends in the yearbook club were at the dance, sitting at one of the tables towards the back. They noticed her when she walked over to the table some drama club members are at since they were sitting near them. 

"Hi, Ophelia!" Aurelia, one of the girl juniors, called out to her as she waved along with the others at the table, looking at the dark-skinned girl with a bright smile. 

Ophelia didn't really know Aurelia all that well before she met her in yearbook club despite the fact they're in the same grade. The two girls do get along well and are becoming good friends. Aurelia reminded Ophelia of 'Belle' from 'Beauty and the Beast' because of the fact how much the girl loved to read and, her active imagination, and her confident, kind, and outspoken personality.

Ophelia smiles at her, chuckling a bit while she waves back at the group. "Hey, you guys!" She and Fallon continued to head over to the table where some drama club members were at. The drama club members being Ashlyn, Big Red, Carlos, Luca, and Ricky.

Ophelia wasn't really that surprised not seeing Nini or her best friend Kourtney there. She didn't blame Nini for not being there. Things are probably awkward between her and EJ and her and Ricky. 

Luca, who was dressed in a navy blue tux, was the first one to notice Ophelia and Fallon walking over to them. He smiles at the two of them. "Guys, you made it! You two look great!"

"Thanks, Luca." Fallon smiles, taking the empty seat between him and Ashlyn. She looks at everyone at the table. "You all look great yourselves." Thank you's were murmured from everyone at the table as Ophelia sat down in the empty seat beside Luca and Big Red.

Conversation easily flowed within the group at the table, but Ophelia stayed silent. Ricky didn't fail to notice how Ophelia would scan the gym every few seconds, biting her lower lip. "Lia, you okay?" Ricky asked, looking at her with concern.

"What?" Ophelia looked back at him with furrowed eyebrows, realizing that Ricky said something to her. She was too busy looking for Eric to hear what Ricky said.

"I asked if you're okay." Ricky responded.

"Oh, yeah." Ophelia smiles, the smile not meeting her eyes. "I'm great." She couldn't help but let her eyes scan the gym again, her shoulders dropping in defeat upon not seeing Eric. "Just great."

"What's wrong?" Ricky furrows his eyebrows. "Don't say nothing because it's obvious something is wrong."

Ophelia sighs. "Okay, so I got a date for this tonight, but he's not here yet." She rests her elbow on the table, resting her chin on the palm of her hand. "I think he stood me up."

He was confused when he felt a pang of hurt in his chest when Ophelia mentioned that she had a date for homecoming. Why was he jealous? He doesn't need to be jealous. He's not with Ophelia. He doesn't even like her that way...Right? Right. He likes Nini. Not Ophelia.

Ricky sent her a reassuring smile and says, "Don't think that way, Lia. Maybe he's just late."

Ophelia nods, forcing a smile. She appreciated Ricky trying to cheer her up, but she would feel better if Eric would show up. Ophelia lays her head on her arms that were now on the table, tuning out everything. She overheard Ricky talking to Big Red about how EJ went to Homecoming with Gina which did surprise her. She didn't think the two were each other's type. She did feel bad for Luca when hearing that since she knew about his crush on Gina.