Chapter Two

Bumi was a seagull Katara went to for information on the human world. Though he wasn't a very reliable source of information, but of course the mermaid princess wouldn't know that. He also wasn't the brightest of birds, but he means well. He just... thinks differently.

Bumi currently stood on his island humming and looking through his telescope. Though he was looking through it the wrong way.

"Bumi!" Katara called.

Bumi turned to where her voice was calling from and saw her in the distance through his telescope, "Whoa! Mermaid off the port bow! Katara, how you doin' kid?" He lowers the telescope to see Katara at wing's length, "Whoa, what a swim!"

"Bumi, look what we found!" Katara said as she held out her bag.

"Yeah, we were in this sunken ship. It was really creepy." Momo said.

"Human stuff, huh? Hey, lemme see." He picks up an anchor and drops it, making him fall off his perch. He hops over to Katara, stepping on Momo's head in the process, and digs through the bag. He pulls out the fork, "Look at this. Wow, this is special. This is very, very unusual."

"What? What is it?" Katara asked excitedly

"It's a dinglehopper!" Bumi replied, "Humans use these little babies," He flicks the fork, "to straighten their hair out." He lifts the fork to his head, "See, just a little twirl here an' a yank there and - voiolay!" He pulls the fork out of his feathers, "You got an aesthetically pleasing configuration of hair that humans go nuts over!"

Katara takes the fork- I mean, dinglehopper in amazement, "A dinglehopper!"

"What about that one?" Momo asked, referring to the pipe.

Bumi picks up the pipe, "Ah, this I haven't seen in years. This is wonderful! A banded, bulbous... snarfblat."

"Oohhh." Katara and Momo said at the same time.

"Now, the snarfblat dates back to prehistorical times," Bumi dips the pipe in the ocean and dumps the water out, "when humans used to sit around, and stare at each other all day." He got close to Katara's face, "Got very boring." He steps back from the mermaid, "So, they invented the snarfblat to make fine music. Allow me."

Bumi blows into the pipe, making seaweed pop out the other end.

"Music?" Katara said nervously as she came to realization, "Oh, the concert! Oh my gosh, my father's gonna kill me!"

Katara quickly put the fork- dinglehopper back into her bag as Momo said, "The concert was today?"

Bumi looks at the pipe, still contemplating it, "Maybe you could make a little planter out of it or somethin'."

"Uh, I'm sorry, I've gotta go." Katara said as she took back the pipe, "Thank you Bumi!"

Katara waves at the bird before diving back into the ocean.

"Anytime sweetie, anytime." Bumi replies as he waves back.

Meanwhile, two electric eels, Zhao and Fong, watch Katara as she swims by. They put their two magic eyes together so the sea witch, Hama, could watch as well.

"Yeeeeeees, hurry home, princess. We wouldn't want to miss old daddy's celebration, now, would we?" Hama said sinisterly, "Huh! Celebration indeed. Bah!" She picks up a frightened shrimp, "In MY day, we had fantastical feasts when I lived in the palace." She eats the shrimp before continuing, "And now, look at me... wasted away to practically nothing. Banished and exiled and practically starving,"

Hama leaves the perch she was sitting on, "while he and his flimsy fish-folk celebrate. Well, I'll give 'em something to celebrate soon enough. Zhao! Fong!" The two eels hit their heads on a rock after being startled, "I want you to keep an extra close watch on this pretty little daughter of his. She may be the key to Hakoda's undoing."