Prologue : The Computer-Augmented Girl

February 19th, 2002

In a lab, at SANHAR (Scientific Advancements for a New Human Augmented Race), a girl of about 17, was strapped to a table, unconscious, and connected to numerous machines, one of which was feeding electricity into her body, through a collar, pinned into her neck. She had a cybernetic implant wired directly into her brain, from the centre of her forehead, around the outside of the eye, to the centre of her right cheekbone, with spindly electronic components spanning her right temple, finishing behind her ear. However, most of the metal was hidden behind a veil of frizzy, platinum blonde hair.

The girl's eyes started to flutter open, revealing electric blue irises, which were undoubtedly a side effect of her body cells' prolonged exposure to pure electrical current. She came to just in time to hear gunfire from outside her lab. But, try as she might to free herself of her shackles, holding her to the table, she couldn't move. However, the gunfire stopped as a figure approached the door to the lab, and the handle turned, the lock mechanism clicking. The girl braced herself for one final gunshot, hoping that the end would be quick, but it never came.

"Miss, I think you need to come with me." the man spoke.

"Me?" she asked, her voice strained, and he nodded, "I'm kinda strapped to a table, sir. I can't exactly move very far."

He holstered his gun, and unfastened the shackles, before sitting the girl up, as her legs dangled off the edge of the table, "What's your name?" he asked.

But the girl just shrugged, "Good question, sir... Here they just call me the Archetype."

"What did they do to you?"

But the girl didn't appreciate the game of 20 questions, "Who are you? Why are you here?"

The man sighed, "I'm Agent Coulson. I'm with SHIELD. A SHIELD team was sent to collect you."

"Okay," she started, "What's SHIELD?"

Coulson sighed, knowing that that question would arise, "Strategic Homeland Intervention Espionage and Logistics Division."

The girl couldn't help but laugh, "Well, someone really wanted that to spell SHIELD. What do you want with me?"

"I'll leave that for my Director to explain..." he answered, "Now, what did they do to you?"

"They went all Dr Frankenstein on me," she told him, "Wiped my memory, I'm guessing, stuck this implant in my brain, and shot me up with about a zillion volts of electricity. Oh and don't forget the 'it's alive!' part." Using Coulson as a crutch, she hauled herself up from the surface she sat on, her legs still weak.

"What about Electra?" Coulson asked, "Your name?"

The girl smiled at him, "Electra. I like it. Can I have a normal last name, though? Like 'Smith'. But not 'Smith'. That's rubbish."

"Jones?" He offered.

"Electra Jones."