Nezha's Atonement

Start from the beginning

Nezha chuckles. “Well, most of it was the system auto-aiming for me. But even so, I finally got to be what I’ve always wanted to be. Thank you very much for giving me the push I needed.”

Koharu smiles and stands Nezha up again after a second bow. “It’s fine, really! After all, we’re all here to help each other, right?”

As if blinded by Koharu’s radiant kindness, Nezha turns red and looks away. “R-R-Right!”

“Nezha, shouldn’t you be there with them?” Kirito gestures to the Legend Braves who mingle with the leaders of the ALS and DKB. Despite the explanation behind their ability in the battle, the Braves performed admirably, even rallying the others at the end. To a degree, they achieved their goal of being heroes, and have their place on the front. She wonders if the guilds will swallow them into their ranks, or will they stay independent like Agil’s.

“No, it’s fine. There’s something else I still need to do.”

“Huh? What’s that?” It didn’t take long for that “something” to make its appearance. As Nezha steps away, Asuna can see two players from the blue ranks of the DKB and one of ALS’ green approaches him. At first, it looked like they were coming in thanks, but their faces betrayed that action. Asuna didn’t recognize the one leading the trio, or any of them, but she caught a glimpse of Jaymes’ face turning just as hard as the other players.

“You’re the blacksmith who was working in Urbus and Taran just a few days ago, aren’t you?”

“...Yes.”

“Why did you switch to a fighter? And how’d you get that rare weapon? It’s a drop-only item, isn’t it? Did you make that much money from smithing?”

In light of this, the whole room turned their attention to the encounter. The scenario Kirito feared would happen was beginning to form, and though Asuna did not want anyone to die, she knew it would be hard to convince the DKB player and others affected (Agil included) to not search for some form of retribution. But no one, not Asuna and her party, not Lind and Kibaou, not even the Legend Braves make a move to intervene.

Asuna glances back at Jaymes. “What do you know? I see it on your face.”

“The day we left you, I ran into that player. Shivata, at the bar. After a little chat, he ‘warned’ me of a player who was a blacksmith, and that player broke his high-level Stout Blade. Of course, I didn’t say anything to him about the truth, but I can see Shiva was angry, albeit in better control than I had when you lost yours.”

So this was inevitable once Nezha stepped through those doors. Nezha knew that too, so it wasn’t too much of a surprise when Nezha dropped his chakram and body to the floor, hands out, head low. “I deceived you, Shivata, and the two others with you. I switched out your swords before attempting to upgrade them, replacing them with spent weapons that I broke instead.”

The silence was thick and painful, it made Asuna uncomfortable. Now that the truth was out, her eyes are on Shivata and his companions. If what Jaymes said is true, Shivata held his angry back then, and looks to be doing the same now, with only a deep frown on his face. His companions have less control over their faces, but they also don’t react as she would’ve expected.

Then the two questions they’ve asked Nezha themselves days ago returned. “Do you still have the weapons you stole?”

“No… I already sold them for money.”