Chapter Forty-Seven

I looked out upon the wolves surrounding me. Silence hung in the air. Suddenly, Anton bowed his head toward me.

I took a step back in surprise and put my hand to my mouth. 

He had submitted to me.

The wolves him began to follow suit until all of the members of my pack were showing me their loyalty. Tears leaked down my cheeks. 

Valen rose from the ground and took his spot next to me. He grabbed my hand in his and pulled it to his mouth before kissing my knuckles. 

"It's yours if you want it, you know. You earned it," he whispered.

My blurry eyes met his. 

"What do you mean? I can't be a ruler."

He put his hand on the side of my face and looked into my eyes. 

"Yes, you can. It's in your blood just like it's in mine." 

I shook my head. 

"This is too much right now. I....I'm not sure how to feel about it." 

"I understand. You don't have to decide right now."

He kissed my cheek and brought our hands back down to my side. 

"You may rise," he called to the pack as he turned back toward them.

Slowly, heads began to raise and gazes locked on us. 

"I want to thank you all for your courage and bravery today. You all fought to your fullest, and though we have suffered many losses, we emerged victorious." 

A symphony of howls began, but Valen raised his hand and cut them short. 

"I know you all have many questions about the future, and we will answer them as soon as we are able. At this moment, I need you all to gather the injured and take them to the medical houses on this land to be treated. Anton," he called.

Anton lumbered his way over to us and Valen put his hand on his blood-stained fur. 

"My friend, I want you and Celia to round up the survivors of Moonlight pack and take them to the palace ballroom. Keep them there until I give you further instructions. Do not hurt them, but do not let them out of your sight. Am I clear?" 

Anton huffed and nodded his large head in understanding before yipping at Celia.

They took off, matching each other's speed and ferocity as they ran. I smiled at their retreating forms. Valen turned back to the crowd once more. 

"We will stay here for the night and reconvene in the ballroom in the morning. We should have some answers for you by then. You are dismissed." 

He waved his hand at the crowd and wolves began to break off into small groups and go in their various directions. Valen grabbed my hand and led me back to Artemis, Von, and Aislinn. 

Their faces were pale and Von was still unconscious. A layer of sweat covered his body and you could see his body tremble every few seconds.

Silent tears streamed down Artemis's face as she watched her mate. Valen ran a hand through his hair and sighed. 

"Will he be okay?" he asked Aislinn. 

"I...I don't know. I got all of the venom out, but his body isn't healing properly. I believe that the dagger was pure silver. I'm sorry, I'm doing all I can."

Aislinn's shoulders slumped and she put her face in her hands. I crouched down next to her and put my hand on her back. She flinched slightly and I tried not to feel the sting of pain at her reaction.