Chapter 4

"I told you never to do it toward a person!" Bou-san barked, looming over Mai.

"But..."

"No buts!" He sighed. "An exorcism can't be done by just anyone. You do have a talent for it. But don't do it again. Never ever put yourself in a situation in which you have to direct the Nine Words against a person."

Mai's shoulders slumped. "Okay. I'm sorry."

I snorted, clicking through my email. Madoka had sent another picture of Stoned Naru (aka Gene). "Why are you apologizing? You saved Katsuki and Wakako." I sent a stream of laughing emojis and hit SEND. "You might need to use the Nine Words again, so muscle up, buttercup."

Bou-san rounded on me. "That won't happen."

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you betting on another box of daifuku?"

He turned away from me, clearly not willing to risk it. "And? We gave the little kids a charm? Was there anyone who didn't want to take one?"

Ayako tilted her head back, thinking. "Let see. We just gave one to the young master and we wanted to give one to Nao-san, but she wasn't around."

Bou-san's eyebrows shot up. "Did anyone say where she was?"

Masako shook her head. "Actually, no one knows."

"...I see."

Suddenly, Mai piped up. "Oh. Youko-san said..."

The door burst open violently, revealing Youko herself. Her round face was flushed with rage. "WHO HURT THE KIDS?" She barked. Instinctively, I inched closer to where Lin was sitting. "WHO DID THAT TO KATSUKI? AND YOU GUYS GAVE HIM A WIERD THING."

If she hadn't been so obviously possessed, I would've told her to pipe down, please. I settled for watching her warily.

"Weird thing?" Bou-san inquired, polite yet alert.

"That charm is ridiculous. Take it off right now!" Her hands clenched tightly, and for a moment I thought of Naru's hands wrapping around Ayako's neck. "He won't take it off even if I tell him to. You also did something to Hazuki. And Wakako, and Yasutaka, and Eijirou. YOU KEEP MESSING WITH THINGS THAT ARE NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!"

I glanced at Lin, wide eyed. "She literally named all of the people who were possessed." I whispered.

"She did." He agreed, shifting ever so slowly in a position where he could get up as fast as possible.

Bou-san took a charm and held it out to the woman. "This is important to protect you. Do you have it, too?"

Youko flinched, then stilled as a creepy smile spread across her face. "That thing won't do anything."

"That's not true. Here."

Lo and behold: she took it.

And it burst into flame.

Yippee.

"See?" She said as we watched the blackened flakes fall to the floor. "It's entirely useless."

Bou-san shrugged, like he'd expected that. "Ayako. Shichi Baku."

"Ok."

Youko edged away as Ayako's index and middle finger began to draw the lines of the Nine Words, murmuring something under her breath. "What is it?"

"It's nothing. We need to talk to Youko-san, that's all. John."

He unstoppered his vial of holy water and splashed it in front of her in the shape of the cross. Youko flinched as several drops landed on her. "I strictly order you in the name of Christ to expose yourself no matter where you are hidden and to leave the body you reside in. Go immediately."