Mistaken • Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

" I'm happy. " I murmured in a sad tone,turning toward another direction and stared afar.

" As soon as the baby is born and as soon as your divorce is through, I expect the two of us to get married in a real church wedding! " she is on discussing her high hopes of a happy future. I was a coward and vulnerable man when I met this vixen and I regret being in a fling with her and now, she's pregnant what I am going to do?

Should I push on with the divorce? It would be unfair on her part and the child's part if I still stick with my ex. But it would be unfair for Mattheo, seeing him grow up blinded by the happiness around him. But what if the child isn't really mine? I know this woman, I know Lucero. I'm wondering.

" We'll get married, nothing can stop us and I want you to present me to everybody in the ball this coming Wednesday. " she traces her finger along my necktie. " As your new woman. "

I feel like I am choked with her actions and words. She's evil, I can see that word written all over her. " We'll see. " I mumbled.

She just grinned. She tries to reach for my lips but before she could even do that, a knock echoed through the office and I see Jennifer standing by the doorway with a bright morning smile. Lucero parted away from me.

" Can't you knock, idiota." she quietly mumbles to herself.

" Good morning, sir. " she cheerfully greeted.

" Buenos dias, Jen. "

She walked towards the desk like a model in a pencil skirt. Thalia's best friend saved me from a kiss with the devil. " Mrs. Castro told me to pass these to you. " she hands me a blue folder containing files.

" Thank you, Jennifer. " I analyzed the papers that it contained. " You can leave now. " I smiled back at her and she turns with one heel and exits the room.

As Jennifer closes the door, Lucero comes back to me again and tries to cup my face, reaching for a kiss. But I gently shoved her away. " Not now. " I ordered. She crossed her eyebrows, turns around and walks out of my sight. I feel like concentrating when she's not around.

I sat and placed my arms on the table, scratching my head in confusion. What am I to do? What if Thalia knows Lucero is pregnant? Of course, she doesn't really care about me anymore, now that there's nothing in between and the divorce is going on. But I know that there's this part in her that will break when she hears about it. The more her angst against me will grow. I think it would be better to reveal it to her personally rather than to hear it from someone else.

________________________________

I held the four pieces of papers of divorce that my lawyer left on my table. Then I saw my signature on the last page but without that devil's signature. With that hard head of his, I'll burn in rage everyday if I don't get him to sign these papers I'm holding.

" Knock, knock. Can I get in? " Jennifer knocks, standing by the doorway. I nod and she hurriedly gets in and sits on one of the chairs across my desk. " You wouldn't believe what I just heard! " she has new gossip obviously but her face expression was different than usual.

" This better be worth my time, Jennifer. " I rubbed my temples while reading the reports on my table.

" You better listen, woman! Its about your ex... " she starts, I closed the reports and listened to what gossip she has to say. " Your worst nightmare finally came true. His woman is pregnant. " she revealed with such emotion painted on her face.

She's pregnant...

Those words kept repeating in my head, swirling around my mind like a typhoon and leaving a massive headache. I felt so affected even if I'm not in their situations and I feel nothing else but friendship and care for Fernando. Something broke inside of me when Jennifer blurted out the news. I rubbed my forehead, this isn't supposed to be a problem of mine but why did I become so affected? I tried biting back the tears that started to come out for no apparent or unknown reason.

" Are you crying? " she noticed the liquid encircling the bottom part of my eyes.

" No. " I sighed. " That's not my problem. None of it is my business. " I stood up from the swivel chair and looked at the city view behind me across the huge glass window of the office. " Where did you get this info, amiga? " I asked.

" I heard them talk and each word was loud and clear. She's pregnant, his woman is hoping that he would marry her after the divorce is done. " she answers.

" That witch and her elusive dreams! " I mocked. " I don't know or care with those two idiots anymore. They betrayed me, they laughed behind my back. " I faced Jennifer with an angry expression. They owe me so much. Their actions took away my happiness and left me crying and cold for two months.

" Then give them what they want! The divorce. " she suggests.

" But that devil won't sign! " I pointed up where his office is located. " And I'm trying to make him since my lawyer won't be here for a few months. " I continued.

" God, I didn't know its not easy to be liberated from a marriage these days. " She sighs. " So after the divorce, are you willing to see them happy while you remain the same? " she asks.

Never thinking of that question, the more I get disgusted, angry and hurt when I'll see them in each other's arms, being happy. My mind starts to cloud with hate against them, especially with that woman. If they were able to laugh behind my back, I'll give her something to wait for a hundred years and I'll give Fernando something to empty his pockets. Its time to pay back what they've caused.

I reached for the telephone on my desk and called my lawyer. " Hello attorney, this is Ms. Sodi. I'm shifting for an annulment. " My decision was loud and clear. I won't care anymore how expensive or how long will it take, at least it will be long to test her patience and I'll find ways to be happy amidst of the heavy situation. This is one risky move I made. We discussed with my lawyer for a couple of minutes, I would exchange these divorce papers for the annulment documents. I hung the call after.

" Are you serious? You have to be reasonable, Thali. Annulment is no joke, it would take years. " Jennifer was shocked and wide eyed, unable to believe my actions.

" I am reasonable, Jenni. " I stated with a firm look at her. " I want to see them break fiber by fiber as the time passes and I would laugh at them after. " I sounded evil with my tone.

" I'll push on with the annulment, nothing will stop me even if Fer will kneel down begging for forgiveness. " I started to break down in tears, Jennifer, mi mejor amiga who has known me in times of misery, ran to comfort me.

" And after that, can you be happy? " she pulls off the question.

" Goddamn! Why shouldn't I be? " I exclaimed, giggling like a fake between the tears.

If they were able to laugh behind my back, if they were able to be happy then why can't I? I felt betrayed more than ever in my life.

End of Chapter Six