06

___

(1997)

(reread chapters if you forgot what's happening! happy reading)

Heeseung lingers around the cage of the gambler's house, a loose arm occupied by the hostess he had been flirting with day after day of coming and going. Heeseung always went to casinos, liberated by the addictive source of summer flings and disposable income.

Being dragged towards a set of velvety seats, Heeseung is forced down into the couch, the girl obnoxiously marking his lips and collarbones with a satin red stain. Groaning in surprise, Heeseung hoists the back of her thighs to have her fall tightly into his mystic trance. Ecstasy is filling her veins, Heeseung's hand sinfully playing where her body cried most.

The alluring young hostess had been eyeing Heeseung since he entered the place, unconsciously interested in the only man who didn't harass her on the job. But just when she thought she had won Heeseung's attention only on her, he swapped places with her, leaving her pressed against the cushiony backboard.

The hostess sat innocently confused, her unfulfillment for Heeseung still brewing. She only bit the tops of her lips as Heeseung stroked the crown of her head to fuse a cold whisper through a sweet tongue,
"I came to gamble tonight."

Mindlessly the hostess chased him, the girl pinching at the cuff of his arm. She had declined an extension of hours in hopes of the night being spent with the customer she had been fantasizing all week about,
"Can't gambling wait?"

She was speaking softly with her legs pinned together, virgin eyes with big white sparkles in them. Heeseung felt nothing but responsible, tangled between his thoughts and his unsettling desires.
"Sorry, angel."

Wandering with his hands tucked in the back of his jeans, Heeseung dips ahead to the loudest section of people with strawberry love bites dressing his neck. Circling the small tournament of blackjack, Heeseung finds a strange mix of people playing. The row of players don't seem to be friends or acquaintances of any sort yet they are noisily playing as if they were.

One player, in particular, seems to be stacking piles of tokens, acting overly humble despite the modest strategy they were using. Heeseung observes the young stranger closely, surprised to find them scoring perfectly flat twenty-ones as the tournament comes to an end.

Heeseung sways himself onto the vacant stool beside one of the older men, inviting himself into the game as if he were no stranger to the bunch, "Mind if we play a different variation of blackjack?"

A devious smug recolors Heeseung's white smile as everyone agrees, the dealer just as interested as the other players in an assertive manner, "What kind of Blackjack we talking?"

"We all bet the same amount but the player with the cards closest to 21 gets everything in the middle instead."

"And what happens if the dealer's cards are the highest?"

"Then the dealer takes everything in the middle and we all lose money."

The incredibly risky style of blackjack had everyone at the table intrigued, the dealer more than on board with the game as he shuffled out a dual of cards to each person with a sparkling chuckle. Heeseung scanned each and every player down upon receiving a queen and six (value: 18), eyeing the boy across him who had the same two cards.