Colours on her Cheeks

Start from the beginning

Vachi wraps her arms around her Pitamahi's neck, burying her head in the crook of Satrupa's neck. "Pitamahi, humhe maas nhi khana hai." [Grandmother, I don't want to eat meat.]

Everyone raises a brow at the disdain in Manushri's words. They were Kshatriyas, it was normal for them to have a non-vegetarian diet.

"Rajkumari, why don't you want to eat meat?" A minister questions.

Aarna raises her head from her grandmother's chest. Tears were pooling in her eyes, making everyone in the room panic. Their Rajkumari never cried, she was a jolly toddler and baby.

"Today I was walking past the kitchen, and there I saw how they made meat. They killed the animal, just so they could eat it later on."

Oh! So that was the reason. It made sense that the Princess was scared. Today was the first time the girl was going to try meat as per the tradition in Karwasa.

Up until the child turns 3, they are not allowed to consume meat or any non-vegetarian dishes. So she had never had meat before.

And now she is saying that she doesn't want to have it. Everyone knows how soft-hearted and kind their Princess is. She loves animals and they seemed to love her too.

"But Padmakshi, it is important-" Vikram is interrupted by Raj Guru.

"It's alright Jeevika putri. Vikram, Satrupa, Yuvati, I think that if Rajkumari does not want to eat meat, then we should serve her with vegetarian meal only." Raj Guru reasons with everyone. He knew that Jeevika was too gentle to let an animal get hurt.

Vikram nods in agreement and looks to Yuvati and Satrupa. Yuvati turns to the group of dasis, "From now on, only prepare vegetarian meals for the Rajkumari." The Dasis leave, obeying Yuvati's order and heading to the kitchen immediately.

Everyone glances at the Rajkumari, laughing when they see how she has all on her attention diverted to the kangan on Satrupa's hands.

"Samrat, Jyesht Samragyi, we should continue the Rajya Sabha." The Prime Minister requests Vikram and Yuvita.

Today they have a lot to cover. The court then proceeded with residents naming their problems and ministers from various fields discussing progress and improvements that were to be made.

As the Rajya Sabha continued, Jeevika felt bored. This was all grown up talk. Reaching up to Satrupa's left, Aarna whispers, "Pitamahi, I want to go."

"Where will you go?" Satrupa quietly asks, her hands patting Jeevika's back.

Vaachi's lips curl into a pout as she considers her options. Where could she go? The garden? Her brothers' room? The marketplace? Suddenly, Jeevika knew where she wanted to go.

"I will go and meet Maa."

Saying so, Jeevika jumps from her Pitamahi's lap, running away like a tornado. Satrupa shakes her head with a smile, her Aarna can never stay in one place for long.

· · ─────── · · ─────── · ·

As she fills her rangoli with colours, Darika brushes a strand of her hair away from her face. She sat on the ground in front of an idol of Narayan. She was alone and no one was to disturb her in her room.