Chapter Six

As soon as the two reached the end of the tunnel, Kazuha exits, pulling on the latch of the trapdoor. Once he was out, the sun shone brightly, he blinks several times as his vision adjusted. "Will you be fine?" Thoma asks while wiping away some dust that accumulated on his shirt.

Kazuha glances up towards the large Inazuman building belonging to none other than the Kenki family. With the entrance being heavily guarded with guards that stood no more than five meters apart, Kazuha gives him a small nod. "I can manage."

Thoma gives Kazuha a reassuring squeeze on his shoulder, telling him that he'll be leaving as he had other matters to attend to. Kazuha nods, acknowledging Thoma's statement. As soon as Thoma left, Kazuha takes in a huge breathe, tilting his head to the side for a slight stretch. Hiding from the guards would be an easy task to do, after all, he was in hiding too.

Meanwhile, in the Kenki Estate, you were by the small garden behind your house. Adorned with maple trees, the garden was your get-away place whenever you were taking a break from your duties. The tranquility of the garden has always brought you peace, ridding your body from the stress that has accumulated over the hours of lectures, be it "proper lady lessons" or just scoldings from your stepmother (on what she believed was proper).

Taking a sip from the cup of tea on the small table on your left, you quickly down the contents before setting it aside, getting up from the bench to take a step forward to catch a falling maple leaf.

"Their colors aflame, shade changing with the season, the beauty of leaves." Someone spoke. Surprised, you turn your head to the owner of the voice and see that it was your savior, Kazu.

"H-How did you get in here?" You ask, curious as to how he got past the guards but then you remembered you had informed Yokoyama, who was stationed by the entrance of the garden, to leave. Though he had reasoned with you that he shouldn't leave his post in case that something will happen to you, you managed to have him back off and told him that if ever you needed him, you'll scream his name.

"Never mind." You shook your head. "What are you doing here? Didn't you go back with Beidou?"

"I take that this chat of ours means that you have time, yes? If so, do you mind that we walk together?"

"W-Will it take long? I'm afraid that my mother will come looking for me..."

"Ten minutes will suffice..." He says, extending his hand out, "Shall we?"

A small smile is plastered on your lips as you place your hand atop of his. He mentally notes the feeling of your soft palm before bringing the back of your hand to his lips, pressing a light kiss on it. Then he gently tugs on your arm, bringing you closer to him as he wraps a cloak around your body. He pulls the hood over your head and chuckles, making you flustered. "W-What is it? Do I look funny?"

"No no." He rejects the idea, "I remember a story I've heard of when I was little. I believe it was about a little girl and a wolf...  Little red riding hood?"

"Little red riding hood?" You repeat, "Is it a book you've read from Yae's publishing house?"

"No... an old friend of mine used to tell me plenty of stories."

"Used to?"

"He's... in a better place."

"O-Oh... I'm sorry for your loss... and for inquiring further."

"It's alright. If you'd like, would you like to hear the story of little red riding hood?"

"Please."

Along the way, Kazuha guides you to a small alleyway, leading you to an open area that was full of greenery. By there, a horse was stationed with a small note on its saddle. The note had a poorly drawn portrait of a person who Kazuha believed was Thoma, as it had a tint of yellow on the hair and green on the eyes. He tucks the note into his pocket before untying the rope that connected the horse to the tree.

Leading the horse towards you, he extends a hand out for you to take. Once your palm met his, he secures his hold on you as you step on the stirrup, climbing on top of the horse. He throws a cloak on over himself before following after you. Securing the reigns, he gently taps the horse on its side. The horse, following the signal, leaps away.

"W-Woah!" You exclaim, your back hitting Kazuha's chest.

"Don't worry. I got you." Kazuha reassures, bringing his arms closer to your sides. Indeed, it did make you feel safe. Though only centimeters apart, his arms never touched you but it did make you nervous.

You had never been this close with a man, not that it wasn't allowed or uncomfortable. It's just that your stepmother's lessons reminded you of how women shouldn't be close with a man unless they are engaged in a relationship. Though it's no longer practiced (because it stopped after your father passed away), it was an old tradition passed down in the Kenki clan.

A few minutes later, you both arrive at the destination. It was a cliffside with a beautiful view of a small island not too far. The small island named Amakane is always the place where many people would go to as its street food was the main attractor. Second to it are the cherry blossoms that enhance the island's beauty even more, making it almost similar to the Grand Narukami Shrine.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He takes in a deep breath, looking over the island before returning his gaze to you. Mesmerized by the beauty the island offered, you were at loss for words. "I-I... oh, it's so beautiful." Kazuha could tell how fascinated you were by the way your eyes twinkled and it made him happy inside, shyly admitting to himself how cute you looked.

"Lady Kenki," He spoke formally, snapping you out from your trance.

"(First Name) is fine." You replied, your full attention on him now.

"Shall we go back?"

"B-But we just got here..." You pout, turning your head to look at the small island again. "T-then I have a favor to ask of you!"

"What is it?"

"Please bring me here again!"

Kazuha nods, acknowledging your request. "As you wish, (First Name)."