Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 81

Start from the beginning

As Tsumetai carefully steps out of the way, making sure not to crush anyone below him, Atsui sits up and groans, rubbing his head. He blinks his eyes a few times, before looking over at the others. Fang, coughing due to the dirty air, lies beside a still unconscious Saffire, one paw resting on the girl's shoulder. Shimei lays beside them, eyes closed and body unmoving. No doubt after his scuffle with the Chameleon, at least one or two of the Minami's bones had been broken. Fang hadn't been able to heal the male properly, and he would be needing to visit the hospital to get fixed......Assuming the Leaf Village still had a hospital.

Seeing that his friends are all still alive, Atsui sighs with relief and tilts his head back, sending Tsumetai a weary grin.

“Good job buddy” the green haired male says, to which the enormous Guardian leans down and nudges Atsui's cheek with his nose.

Not too far from the Ninja from the Land of Ambience, Jet also rises to his feet, pushing against some debris with his back and shoving it out of the way. Chi, curled up below Jet in a quivering ball, sneezes as the small space he is in is flooded with sunlight and dust particles.

Jet tosses his head as he stands amongst the wreckage, looking around through hooded eyes, a disturbed look on his face. He didn't know what exactly had just happened, but it clearly hadn't been good.

Looking back down at the sound of a faint whimper from Chi, Jet lays his ears back and gently nudges the young Wolf, causing him to open his eyes.

“You alright kid?” Jet asks deeply, to which Chi gulps and looks up, eyes wavering.

“Wh-What just happened Jet-chan?” the caramel Wolf asks timidly, not wanting to climb out of the debris for fear of what could be up there. “I....I thought we were g-gonna die.......It was so loud........”

“I wouldn't let you die kid......” Jet assures Chi, only now noticing a slash mark across his own leg. Ah well, it didn't hurt too much, so he'd worry about it later. Chi was more important right now.

“..........Thank you for protecting me Jet-chan...” Chi says softly, carefully sitting up and snuggling into Jet's chest, closing his eyes.

The ebony coloured Wolf freezes, his golden eyes widening in surprise. He awkwardly looks down at the now silent Chi, unsure of how to react to this affection. He remains still for a few more moments, before clearing his throat and turning his head, eyes half lidded again.

“Uhhh....We should uh, go and see what's happening with the Village” the large Wolf suggests, causing Chi to sigh heavily and lean back, a troubled look on his face.

“.....Okay” he eventually agrees, rising to his feet, “But you gotta promise to not leave me by myself Jet-chan.....Okay?”

“Of course I won't leave you kid” Jet scoffs, rolling his eyes as he helps Chi climb up out of the wreckage.

Woah!” Chi cries in horror, surveying the area. “What.....What did those bad guys do?!......Hey look, there's Tai-chan! And Fang-chan! And Atsui-cha-”

“I get it kid” Jet mutters, cutting his young friend off. “They all made it.”

“But........” Chi trails off, beginning to look worried again, “Where is Lady Ashley-chan? And the rest of the Pack? Do you.....Do you think they-”

“They're alive” Jet responds seriously, not even wanting to consider the other possibility. “We just need to find them. They'll be around here somewhere.”

Ears drooping a little, Chi follows after Jet as he raises his nose to the air, trying to find the familiar scents of his pack members amongst all of the other smells floating around. As Chi lowers his head to begin looking for a scent as well, a bright flash of electricity suddenly shoots up out of the ground right in front of him, causing the pup to yelp in fright.