"Valak is among us. Do not break the bond!"

"Hold on!" Jace yelled, Clary's hand obviously starting to slip from Jace's.

"I'm trying!" She snapped. Then, a tornado like structure of black smoke appeared in the centre of the pentagram.

"It is time!" Magnus yelled. "The demon demands payment!"

"What does it want?"

"We must each relinquish a beloved memory of the one we love the most." Magnus explained, and I felt a part of me being ripped out. A picture of Magnus and me on my tenth birthday came up in the black mist.

A picture of Mom then appeared from Clary.

Then, a picture of me smiling came from...Alec.

"No. It's not true!" Alec yelled. He looked scared.

"Alec, it's fine!" I yelled to him but he shook his head.

"The demon deceived me!" He yelled and I stared at him, worried.

"Do not break the bond!"

"No!" Alec yelled once more before breaking the bond.

"No!" Magnus cried as the Demon flung us to the floor. He tried to contain it with his magic, but it wouldn't hold long.

"I cannot contain the demon much longer!" Mag yelled out and I stood. I went to go towards the demon and put my seraph blade through it, when I saw Alec already approaching it.

"Alec!" Me and Jace cried. Jace shoved Alec out the way, but before the demon got its grasp on Jace, I shove him.

I got grabbed, but I think i shoved Jace too hard. He was unconscious.

Woopsy daisy.

"Rea!" I heard Izzy cry as she grabbed my hand. It was a slight blur. "Grab her! Grab her!" She yelled at Alec, who firmly gripped my other arm.

"Hold on!" My vision may have been blurry, but I saw the tears in Alec's eyes. I gasped out as it felt like the demon gripped me more tightly.

"I'm sorry. For causing our fight." I apologised. I was willing to believe this was the end.

I was surely going to die.

"The demon is growing stronger!" Magnus yelled out, panicked.

You know. I'm awfully calm.

But it was the right thing, wasn't it?

Saving Jace.

That's what heroes...legends...do, right? Save people? They risk their lives to save those in need.

That's a Shadowhunter's job description, basically.

Risk your lives for the feeble.

For the mundanes who know nothing of the supernatural.