˗ˋ 09

CHAPTER NINE

-: the beginnings :-

── IN WHICH SHE FINDS THEM

. . .

THERE WAS NO ANSWER and even after both Kingsley and Ophelia gave it twenty more goes, there still wasn't one. They had tried to look through the letterbox, in through the front window and into the cluttered living room (where Ophelia could see far too many magical things in plain sight) and still, they got no answer.

It was way too busy for them to try and magic the door open, and even so they would never do it, but still.. Ophelia thought about it just so that she could chuck the broomstick into the hallway and get it out of sight of all the muggles that kept walking past because it was definitely in violation of so many codes in the Statute of Secrecy and the thought of it was really making her arms itch.

"This is why surprise visits aren't a good idea." Kingsley let out a sigh, even going so far as to roll his eyes at the girl in front of him, who stared up at him obstinately. "How long are you planning on standing there."

"Until they get back from wherever they are." The Diggory replied, looking around before wiping off the top of the wall that separated the small front garden with next door's and sitting down on it. "They won't be long. They never took long with anything. Quidditch matches.. Honeydukes raids for parties.. whatever pranks they were looking to commit."

Kingsley didn't say anything for a moment, focusing instead on of the wall she was sat on. He shifted on his feet, his mind flicking through scenarios of what he could do next. "I'll go back to the offices and finish the paperwork, come on the next visit to the guys I shared a room with for seven years." He said.

Ophelia shot to her feet. "No - no, it's fine. You said you wanted to be there.. I can wait." She replied, nodding erractically as to confirm her point.

"Can it though?" Kingsley rose an eyebrow. "We're supposed to be looking for someone.. things can't really wait for that." He shrugged, taking a step back towards the street with his eyes on the small corner closed off from the prying eyes of the British general public. "Besides, I wasn't that interested in seeing their faces. Just make sure you get it in detail."

"Yeah." Ophelia agreed, looking far too grateful for such a simple thing. "Thanks Kingsley... I'll be back in half an hour to see if they show.. maybe an hour if I have the patience to wait longer."

"I'll see you soon." Kingsley appeared to have absolutely no faith that anyone of the four boys would appear back at the house within the time slot Ophelia had assigned, and instead made his way back into the street, closing the metal gate behind him. 

Ophelia's eyes remained on him as he made his way past the lines of vibrantly coloured homes and into the darkest, closed-off alleyway. The popping sound of him Apparating away wasn't audible from where Ophelia was sat, however there was a swirling pile of leaves as he disappeared and with a sigh Ophelia sat back against the wall.

"Your friend couldn't wait two minutes, could he?" The voice interrupted her and she turned around, finding that the door on the next house along had swung open, and an old woman was holding onto the doorframe. "I saw you two looking something desperate to get inside and.. well you don't look like you could bust down the door and your friend - as muscular as he is, looks too nice."