Not that I regretted anything or could really complain, I didn't need to rest. I was fine in the ways that matter.

But...even if my body could keep this up for centuries, I missed the days of quiet, my comfortable bed, and my Kalem.

Gods, I missed Kalem.

My heart tightens with desperate longing and a sharp ache collects within my chest at the thought of my boy who I'd been spending less and less time with. I didn't mean for us to be so distant, but there was so much occurring, so much that kept us apart.

But it hurt, even more when I knew he was close by, but still so painfully far away.

We hadn't shared a bed in many nights, hadn't found the time to water his plants either or explore a book together like how we used to. It seemed like the only time we saw one another was in passing and that wasn't nearly enough.

It wasn't enough for me and I knew it wasn't enough for Kalem who was putting on his bravest face through all of this.

His understanding and resilience was the only thing that kept me from locking us away for a month and forgetting all our blasted troubles. It was also the main reason why I pushed so hard even now as tired as I was.

The faster this came to an end, the sooner things could go back to the way they used to be. I could hold Kalem freely in my arms and read him new books or I could show him this world and all its secret beauties without worrying about his safety.

I could give him all I ever promised, and I would, soon.
I just had to keep this up for a little longer, and then, it would all be worth it.

"This better be good, I was about to give Aias a massage," I hear Malcolm's grumblings from down the hall along with approaching steps that make me roll my eyes.

I straighten my back, pocketing away my sadness and fatigue for when I'd be alone with them again.

The door bursts open and once again Wequie comes striding through it as if he owned this world, only this time, Malcolm and his stringbean elf came in behind him with mirrored expressions of annoyance and indifference.

The elf trailed closely behind Malcolm, his hand resting on the small of Malcolm's back as he led him towards the open chairs to sit while Wequie came bounding over to my side so he could be at the head of the table.

When Wequie flickers a hand towards a chair with a look of disgust, I take the hint and fill the closest seat to me so he could hold the centre stage.

Looking at him expectantly, I trace the table with my fingers, "The floor is yours."

Clasping his hands in front of him, Wequie takes a deep breath as if he was about to put on a performance - I was sure he was - before he passing his eyes over us.

"My dear friends," Dear Gods... 

"You are gathered here today because I have done something truly awe-inspiring," Wequie says while he nods with a closed smile.

I rest my face in my hands, resigning myself to this cruellest faith.

"Some may have thought it impossible, but you know what, I strive to achieve the impossible," he continues contemptuously, "like when all my peers thought there was no way I could satisfy seventeen sirens in that tiny lagoon, I said I fucking can and you kno-"

"My friend," Aias cuts in with his voice sounding strained. "Though I may enjoy your stories on any given day, today is not that day. I am tired and I do not wish to be here any longer than necessary, so please, just this once... get on with it."