25. Caught In This Pool

Start from the beginning

She was blaming herself as for the reason why Drew left his mother in the first place. If her mother had not gotten pregnant, neither of them would be in this predicament.

   "Why would I hate you? I barely even know you, but yea I guess," He said tiredly averting his eyes. Zaria rubbed her palms down her thighs. Her head bowed down and she looked at her youthful fingers laying calmly on her thighs. "Where is your mom?"

"Working."

    "How old are you?"

"I'm twenty-two."

"Oh."  Drew looked away again. He heard the door next to him open halfway as a shadow peeked through the door. Drew slid himself an inch away from the door. He seemed scared and lifted up Zaria from the floor. He pushed her behind him to save her from any kind of threat. Zaria's head looked over Drew's arm. Before Drew can overreact, a young boy with a lacrosse jersey on looked at him demurely.

  "What the --- "

"Who are you?" asked Drew still holding on to Zaria standing behind him.

  "Wait don't hurt him he's your little brother," Zaria moved away from Drew and quickly stood in front of the boy. "His name is Kian. He's Willy's youngest son." 

"He's the one you were talking about?"

  "Yes!" Drew looked at him each way he could. Full lips just like him, eyebrows seemed identical to his, and the jawline structure a little off than he expected. He looked like him and a bit of Willy's appearance but he mostly had the mothers big eyes.

     "Who's he?" said Kian putting down his gym bag to the side on the sofa.

"He's our older brother Kee. His name is Drew. He is the other son we never knew about."

  "Dad has another family?"

"Yea. You're not the only who's shocked."

"You knew about this for a long time?" Kian waited for Zaria to answer.

"A while. What matters is we are here together face to face."

    "Where is he from?"

"Yea where are you from Drew?" Drew looked at the both of them speechless. He stuttered a bit. Everything  happened so fast.

 "New York City!" 

"Oh." Kian said. Drew took a seat. He was confused. He was surprised that Kian didn't overreact emotionally.He wondered why Kian didn't give him an attitude, matter of fact strike him with a punch. He was cool and calm like he'd somehow expected this to happen.

"I'll get some drinks, you guys can talk." Zaria said walking away from the two. Kian sat down next to him and they looked at each other awkwardly.

  "So?"

"Well. . ." Drew picked at the dead skin on his finger.

"What's New York like?"

 "Paris. . .but with a lot of trains and a huge city on the island."

"Oh! How old are you Drew?"

"I'm twenty-five you?"

 "I'm twenty."

"You play Lacrosse huh?"

"Yea. What sport you play?"

"I used to play Baseball. I also used to play Basketball too. It got me a scholarship in college. I was stuck between NYU or Hunter College. I chose to go to Hunter instead." Drew added on trying to make the conversation a little less boring. Hoping Kian would ask about his academic experience in Hunter, he went totally off topic.

"Awesome," Kian licked his lips wanting to ask something more electrifying. "How come Willy never talked about you?"

"I don't know. He's a very private guy. That I know."

"He could've said something."

"He could've, but he didn't."

"Do you uh hate him?"

"I don't even know what to think or feel."

"Understandable. You know I always wanted to know what it feels like to have an older brother. I always wanted one. Zaria is a pain in the ass."

"I can relate to you one-hundred percent!" 

   "I have some interesting photo albums, do you want to see them?" Drew looked at Kian in the eyes.

"Ah yes, that would be very nice of you."

"I knew about you too if you are wondering. I was being a creep just like Zaria. It took me quite some time to fully get it but I'm fine with it now," He pushed himself off the sofa and loosen the knots on  his cleats."By the way you're not the only  one who was affected. My mom found out too that's why she divorced him."

Kian walked away heading upstairs into his bedroom to find the photo albums. Drew didn't even bother to watch him go upstairs. Too much information was making his head hurt.