Chapter 14. Resolution

The evening breeze that came inside my window made the curtains move enough for the sun to come straight into my eyes

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The evening breeze that came inside my window made the curtains move enough for the sun to come straight into my eyes. I removed myself from my bed hastily realising I had overslept.

"Relax, my sweet child." My mother caressed my arm, guiding me to reincorporate myself in the bed again. "I'm incredibly proud of you." I looked down at my bandaged legs. I had made it home from the tunnels with Obi Wan successfully after some of our people had seen us struggling in the sewers. I barely remembered anything else.

My father and brother rushed in, the latter bringing flowers, the former kneeling down in front of me incredibly shaken. "I was so scared we were going to lose you." My father said, a tear escaping his eye. "You were passed out from exhaustion when you were brought here yesterday."

"The two bastards who did this to you have already been caught." My brother said, looking at my bandages.

"How's Obi Wan?" I started to remember every detail of what we went through.

"He is already up and talking with the Jedi council." My brother replied. I staggered out of bed to get the box I had hidden under the tiles of my closet, smiling when I saw how perfect of a hiding spot it had been.

"He'll need this." I held up the box wrapped in its handkerchief.

"What is that?" My father asked confused.

"It's proof father." I approached him, activating the necklace to show him the data on the Separatist droid army funded by Suraniat corruptly.

"I am terribly sorry for everything." My father expressed his regret for not trusting me enough after I had given an explanation of the events that lead to my investigation, of course leaving some details for later like sneaking out of the palace. We all hugged and for the first time in a while I felt like I was part of a united family.

I abandoned the room to deliver the necklace personally to Obi Wan. A part of me wished to see him, but the other was terrified of the encounter. After all that time together I still couldn't quite decipher his attitude, and feared his rejection. I remembered his words the night of the ball, his cold attitude afterwards. I tried gathering my thoughts before knocking on the door of his chambers, but my mind had already reached a conclusion as to where his feelings towards me stood. The door opened slowly.

"Y/N." He seemed surprise. "I- I am glad you're alright, I wasn't expecting you." He turned to the side to let me in, but I didn't move, nervously avoiding eye contact.

"I- I just came to give you this." I placed the opened box on his hands. "The necklace contains the proof of what we investigated." He held the box with the arm he didn't have inside a casket, incredulous. "You just need to use the code, which you gave me." He looked at the little paper that laid on top. "It was Jaycol. I was going to tell you last morning." I sighed, my stomach turning at my remembrance of the incident. "But we all know how that turned out."

"Will you come in? We can discuss it." He offered.

"It won't be necessary." I declined, my heart rate increasing. "I don't want to bother you, I'm sure you're tired." We stared into each others eyes. I turned mine away.

"Y/N this is-" He started, trying to take in what I had just told him."I will surely make sure this ends in hands of the council." He kept it short. I nodded in approval, briefly smiling before setting off to my room to rest before dinner.

"To your bravery and sacrifice." My mother raised her glass to toast. It was a small dinner, just my family and Obi Wan.

"I can't believe all this happened in front of our eyes." My father said, disappointed after Obi Wan and I had told them the entire story. We avoided further speaking on Iris, and details on our secret missions were avoided. "But I am glad it's all over now."

Desert was brought in. "I have something to announce." He sat up, smiling at me. "The ballots were counted, the council and I have discussed." My mother held my hand. "Suraniat will be joining the republic."

"That's great news!" I held my hands together in delight, turning to Obi Wan, who raised his drink smiling.

"It will be a new, hopefully prosperous and safe era for Suraniat, specially after we do some maintenance regarding palace personnel as we investigate how the killers were able to infiltrate the palace." My brother continued.

"And those are not the only good news." My mother said. "Your father and I have decided to retract on our mistake."

"The people of Suraniat have spoken. You will, if you are still up for it, become our representative in the senate of Coruscant."

"It would be an honour." I said exhilarated; I was in complete bliss for an instant, thinking about my journey and everything I went through. All my efforts...

"So it has been decided." My father expressed his best wishes. "It will be a great deal of paperwork to get it settled.

"It will keep us busy after General Kenobi's departure." My mother laughed. "We surely grew accustomed to your company, general, and will look forward to meeting you again in the future, for we owe you a lot for your bravery and dedication."

A last toast was made for the Republic. I grew silent after Obi Wan's departure was mentioned and soon excused myself to retreat to my quarters. I was once again deeply immersed in my reflections upon my feelings towards Obi Wan. Why couldn't my thoughts be occupied by my title as senator, instead of being temporarily set aside by the gloomy feeling that comes from trying to accept the imminent departure of someone with whom I envisioned a future. After all, he had been the only one to believe in me when nobody else did; He had risked the initial mission that brought him from Coruscant to go out and investigate with me.

The first tear had made its way down my cheek when I heard a knock on the door. "Come in." I quickly got up, wiping my tears off with the back of my hand. I turned around expecting Nathali, so finding Obi Wan instead made me step back.

"I'm sorry to intrude." He said, drawing nearer to me. "I came to apologise, and maybe even explain myself." He looked uneasy, yet calm.

"It wasn't your fault Obi Wan." I exhaled, trying to realise the tension I was holding in. "Jaycol had a very elaborate plan, I dare say almost impeccable." I made my way out to the moonlit balcony.

"No, It's- It's not about that." He stood behind me. I turned around in surprise. "It's about my attitude towards you." I tilted my head towards him. He had made his way next to me. "Since I was assigned to this mission, I have found for the first time that my own feelings affected my judgement. I grew to be greatly fond of you since the beginning, which I considered improper as a Jedi. That's why I tried to return to formality and keep my distance as I ought." My face dropped. Looking before us, the stars shone brightly, and the busy sounds of the day had been replaced by those of nature. "However, by trying to suppress those feelings purposefully, my spirits became invaded by sombreness." I turned my head to meet his eyes. "I am sorry I pushed you away, and I am sorry that as a Jedi I can't offer you the love you deserve."

I approached him, resting my hand on the side of his face tenderly. His eyes glowed with melancholy, mine with the moon. "Sometimes you just have to let the river flow, general." A moment passed before the distance between us was broken in a heart-warming kiss.