UNSTOPPABLE

• Dedicated to Claire Caulfield

UNSTOPPABLE

I never though I'd do it. Although I had prepared, practised and fought with all my might, I never thought I would actually. But, whoa, I'm getting ahead of myself. Ill start from the beginning.

3 years ago my life began and ended on a cold winter’s day. I was 9 years old at the time. Nine years old! Back then I thought nine was a lucky number. 3 times 3. A number which I thought meant so much was to destroy everything I held dear.

My parents had let me go to the shops for the first time on my own and I was excited. Excited, I should say ecstatic. I felt I was all grown up. How innocent and naïve I was.

It was a freezing cold morning and my hands felt like ice. The world was covered in a thin sheet of snow and the sun shone silver rather than gold. My house was 99 steps (if I jumped slightly) from the shop and as I walked slowly, savouring the freedom, I felt something was wrong.

Slowly the world around me began to change. The glorious world around me went from ice to fire in an instant but everything else stayed slow. I looked up, if only to see the silver sun again, but no, it was not there. In its place was a large black object, falling fast yet slow and replacing the sky with darkness. All I saw was a number. Printed in blood red paint: 9

I woke up several years, months, weeks, hours, minutes (I don’t know which) later only to find I was in a white room, in a white building, where I had never been before.

I sat up quickly and looked around. Two people had their backs to me, speaking in hushed tones. One a man and the other a young woman. I don’t know why I did what I did next, but I did it anyway. I jumped from the bed and with some amazing new-found strength I back-flipped and slammed them into the wall and ran. Faintly in my ear I could hear the young woman speaking. “Subject 9 is active,” she said “Subject 9 is escaping.”

I felt I knew the place but I couldn’t put my finger on why. Running as fast as I could I dodged every corner and wall and obstacle as if I had done it all before. I knew every twist and turn as if I had walked it every day of my life. Then I came to a room with the number 99 on it. Without even pausing for a second I rushed through the door…

Inside I found what I was looking for. Lying sleeping on a bed was a child of nine. His face and arms were badly burnt but he was still breathing, if only slightly. Then it all came rushing back. The giant black object was a bomb and me its only survivor. But I wasn’t really me was I. I was subject 9 of the Omega project, being fed the memories, strengths and lives of victims of war. I was the ultimate soldier. I knew exactly every date, time, and year of every war and battle. I knew all the tactics and I knew all the secrets.

Now I had to escape. If the army had me they would be unstoppable, but I escaped I would be their ruin. So I ran. Out of the room and across the hall. I was on floor 6. Six storey jump, I thought, I could survive that. With all my might I fought my way through the door. All my practise runs before hand had taught me well and the door exploded inwards. Jumping straight down the hole in the middle of the circular stairs hurt a little bit, but not enough to slow me down.

I continued to run until I reached the second door and once again charged with all my might. The door flipped off its hinges and out onto the shore of the island.

Quickly I jumped into the water and swam as fast as the wind. I could hear their alarms still going off behind me. But by the time they realised I had swam away I was long gone. I never thought I'd do it but I was long gone.