chapter 24 - what if i'm everything that i will ever need

Start from the beginning

"Absolutely. I would love to help in any way I can, babe."

Ricky sighed in relief. Truth be told he'd promised Ethan that Nini would say yes.

"Thank you. I love you so much! And I can't wait for you guys to come tomorrow to help out during dinner service." Ricky said beaming and leaning back to give her a kiss.

Nini chuckled, and Ricky tilted his head in confusion. "What?"

"Nothing. It's just the first time I've seen you genuinely smile in the past couple weeks." Nini said pushing his curls away from his eyes. "I've missed it. And it's just so wonderful to watch you bloom and grow throughout this project. I'm so proud of you."

"Really?" Ricky's eyes glistened with unshed tears. "This project is just really special, Neens. I don't know why, but it makes me feel proud of myself and it takes my mind off of things."

Nini wrapped her arms tightly around Ricky's neck and rested her chin on his collar bone. "I'm so happy to hear that. Ricky, you're doing really great, meaningful work for this community, and you should be proud of yourself."

"Thank you for pushing me to do this, Neens." Ricky said. "For being there for me these past few weeks, and the weeks, months and years before that, and for telling me to be brave."

"Can I show you something?" Nini asked suddenly.

Ricky nodded.

"Just wait here. Don't turn around until I tell you to."

"Okay. Please don't murder me."

Nini chuckled and stood up walking behind the couch towards the balcony. He could hear her opening the curtains and unlocking the door. She stepped out and it sounded like she was moving some things.

"Okay. Now come here." She said after about five minutes.

Ricky quickly stood up, wondering what this girl could possibly be surprising him with this time. He turned around to find that candles were lit at the balcony and Nini was standing in the middle, looking ethereal.

"What's all this?" he said when he reached her.

"Do you remember this?" She said taking her guitar from the chair and handing it to him. He examined the object even though he knew exactly what it was. He ran his fingers across the frets and the strings.

"How could I forget?" He flipped it and checked the neck, it was engraved with a pair of wings. "Senior year of high school."

"I had been crying myself to sleep almost every night, my insecurities were eating me alive and one day you just showed up at my house with this guitar. You remember what you said to me that night?" Nini asked, "You told me, even if-"

"Even if they all reject you, you're still going to fly, Nini Salazar-Roberts. You're a fighter and you don't need those people who don't believe in you. You know who you are and who you were born to be." Ricky remembered it word for word. "I'm not sure how you didn't realize that I was completely in love with you back then..."

"Well. After you left. I wrote a little song on this guitar." Nini said taking the item from his hands. "It was a song for me. But now I think you should hear it. It's for you now."

Nini sat on the stool that she'd set up and began strumming an unfamiliar melody.
[a/n : she sings a slowed down acoustic version of Born to be Brave]

Ricky stopped fighting the tears by the time she reached the chorus. The song was beautiful. Nini was beautiful. She always knew exactly what he needed.

"You think that I'm the brave one. But really, it was you who told me first to be brave. So now it's my turn to cheer you on, and remind you of your own words." Nini said afterwards. "I know these times are bard, but Ricky Bowen, you're a fighter and you don't need those people who don't believe in you. You know who you are and who you were born to be. You were born to be brave. You have been so brave and you will continue to be."

Ricky's feelings overwhelmed him and rendered him speechless. He engulfed her in a hug, there was only one thing on his mind : how did he get so lucky ?
__________
Later that night as they lay in bed. Ricky was tossing and turning, and desperately trying not to wake his girlfriend up. But Nini had been up for the past 20 minutes because of him.

"Alright, Richard. What is going on? You're driving me crazy." Nini said turning to him. "What's on your mind, babe?"

"Do you think my mom's proud of me?" Ricky asked looking at the ceiling.

"Yeah, of course she is." Nini said. "And you'll continue to make her proud, because you are the most hardworking and dedicated person I know."

Ricky sighed. Nini knew he didn't believe her, and it broke her heart.

"I know you don't believe me, Ricky. But I really meant it."

"I'm trying to believe it." Ricky whispered.

"That's enough for me. Just promise me you'll keep trying." Nini smiled. "Trust the process, Bowen."
________