Chapter 41 - Joshua

I couldn't believe we were about to do this again but we were running out of time, we got lucky yesterday when we thought we could outsmart Jasper and walk out on foot across the fields, we hadn't got far before some of his goons caught us, lucky we were travelling light and had our traps on us, a lie about setting up some more rabbit traps further out in the woods seemed to work, but I didn't doubt Jaspers intelligence too much, we had rucksacks on it was fairly obvious what we were doing.

They let us go, they spared us because we were the only ones stupid enough to come back here for them.

Sam looked tired, so did I, a sleepless night worrying about the warehouse and how the hell we was going to pull this off.

We were sat at the top of a hill overlooking the warehouse, more specifically the parking lot, now a sea of mixed colours of fabric, a sea of zombies.

It was like looking out onto a crowd of people at Glastonbury festival, except they all wanted to eat you, there were thousands of them all circling the carpark looking for their next meal.

"a zip line could work" Sam said his tail wagging like he'd had a eureka moment, "yeah a rope from the roof down over the parking lot, above the fence to the car

Just then we heard a noise from the bushes, thinking it was another zombie to take down I readied the bow but instead a man appeared holding his hands up "hey hey don't shoot please I just want to talk"

He didn't look armed and stood still, "there's a group of us, we've seen you here before and we need to get supplies too, I just thought we could work together"

"sound too good to be true" I offered

"yeah I get you, but if you guys are raiding this place for the same guy then we're all in the same boat id say"

"what do you mean" I asked still holding the bow tightly

"the Colony, I cant go back empty handed"

I looked at Sam who still wasn't sure what to make of the situation as much as I wasn't

"hey listen, four is better than two right"

"Four, where's your friend" Sam interrupted

"Oh she's just got a scope on us right now in case this went south, listen im Mark, I just want us to work together alright?"

As much as I hated to admit it he had a point, even though I wasn't sure I could trust him, but I lowered the bow anyway, "I'm Josh, and this is Sam"

"nice to meet you, my Friend Sarah should be with us soon" he gave a thumbs up towards the woods

"I don't even want to raid this place but I haven't a choice, he's already killed some of our group for not giving him supplies"

"how many are there?"

"oh there's 20 of us, over by the water tower, you helped some of our friends the other day"

"20 of you? Could you not just take on the colony and tell them to go fuck themselves?" Sam blurted out

"its not that easy, the colony is about the same size as us but they wont allow us to have many weapons, so there's no way we could take them on, you've seen their compound right?"

"no we only came to this area a few days ago and Jasper paid us a visit so we can pay the tax as he calls it"

"shit you were probably better staying out of this place, how many of you are there" Mark said

"well just us" I said not thinking about it, what if this was a trap.

"hey"

"you must be Sarah" I said as a middle aged woman dressed in camo clothing approached sniper rifle in hand