Chapter 1 - Beginning

"Here you go," Violet said cheerfully, as she handed the bread to the customer.

Instead of receiving a nice gesture or response, the customer just threw his money at her. The money fell on the ground, Violet instantly glared at him.

"That's not a very nice-"

"Whatever," the customer rolled his eyes, before leaving the bakery.

"The hell is his problem?" Violet grumbled, staring at the door where the rude customer just left.

"He can leave without throwing the money," she muttered while shaking her head.

Her grandma chuckles from beside her, "Don't mind him, sweetie. There are really bad and rude people in this world," she said in a calming tone, then she walked over to the tables and chairs of their bakery with a wet towel in her hand to clean them.

Violet sighed, "Yeah." She then crouched down to pick up the money on the floor.

"That's it for today, thanks for your hard work, Violet," her grandma declared, while wiping the table with wet towel.

Violet stood up with money in her hand. "No problem," she smiled, while watching her grandma's back.

"I need to get ready now for my next job though," she muttered under her breath. Her eyes glanced through the window, noticing the sky began to change color.

Violet has a night job, she works as a cashier at a fast-food restaurant. She is always busy, and has no time for herself. Although, she wants to go to college to pursue her dream of becoming a doctor, she couldn't due to lack of money.

Violet looked back at her grandma who is still cleaning the table, her eyes are filled with worries. "Grandma, while I'm gone, always make sure-"

"-to lock all the doors, and don't let anyone come inside the house," her grandma cut her off.

Violet just hummed in response.

Her grandma chuckles, "Oh, don't worry about me. You are always saying that, but look at me, it's been years and I'm always alright."

Violet nod her head, "Y-yeah, but still-"

"I understand your uneasiness, sweetie," her grandma smiled, while going to another table to clean it. "I am fine," she reassured.

Violet went to her grandma's side, reaching out her right hand. "Let me do it," she said. Her grandma glanced at her hand, before giving the wet towel to her.

"I am not that old, Violet. I can still move; I can still clean," her grandma puts her hands on her hips, while watching her granddaughter do the rest of cleaning.

"I insist," Violet replied, glancing at her over her shoulder. "You should get some rest, Grandma."

Her grandma chuckles, "I'll cook your favorite dish tonight, since you are always so-" she paused, before patting her head. "-hardworking and stubborn child," she finished as she received a smile coming from Violet.

"I'm not a child anymore," Violet mumbled, which her grandma still heard it.

"But for me, you are still a child. My favorite and my sweetest child," her grandma said, while pulling her hand away.

Violet's smile immediately disappeared upon hearing the mention of the word 'child'. Then, she put her attention back to the table she was cleaning.

Her grandma noticed this, "Is there something wrong?" she asked in worry. Violet didn't respond for awhile, then seconds later, she finally opened her mouth.