I winced inwardly as Naru's eyes sharpened. If this was another 'unusual birthmark', he wasn't going to restrain himself. Hazuki's head snapped up and her grip on her uncle's shirt tightened. "I hate hospitals!" She whimpered.

"It's alright. We're not going to one."

Bou-san took a sip through his straw before speaking. "Naru-chan, it's alright if we examine her, isn't it? It won't take long."

"Please help us." Akifumi requested.

Naru glanced at me. I nodded. He let out a sigh that, in my opinion, could've sounded a little less sassy. "All right."

"I'm sorry to bother you." Akifumi gently unwrapped the thin bandage from around her neck, revealing a rash that went all the way around. "This circles her entire neck."

Naru's lips thinned. "Skin diseases like that are nothing unusual."

Akifumi's gentle hands steered Hazuki around. "But that's not all. If it were, we would've just gone to a hospital, but..." Hazuki had been wearing a bright floral dress with an elastic collar, and now it was pulled down to reveal a rash that traveled down her spine in the form of bright red kanji.

Mai's eyes widened. "Wha...What does it say in the writing?"

"'Zen getsu in rakugoku dounyo'."

Naru glanced at the somber monk. "Monk-san?"

"This is a kaimyou."

"A kaimyou..." Mai swallowed. "Do you mean the name given to a dead person!?"

"Right. 'Zen-getsu means the foolishness of fearing something too much. 'Rakugoku' means 'descending into hell', and 'dounyo' means 'girl'." He hesitated, unsure of how much to say as the dress hid the kaimyou from view. "The 'getsu' in 'zen-getsu' is probably taken from the same Chinese character used for 'zuki' in 'Hazuki'. The kaimyou was branded onto this girl by someone wishing her harm. It means, 'this foolish girl will descend into hell'."

Naru couldn't exactly turn him away after seeing the rashes. A few days later, we'd driven to the coast—me and Naru in the company's van and Ayako and Mai in Bou-san's car. I stuck my hand out the window, enjoying the rush of cool salty breezes carrying the distant crash of waves and the complementary warmth of the sun. "You know, being stuck with a grumpy troll has its perks." I commented, then yelped as the window began to rise. "Oy, leave it open!"

"Sorry. Grumpy trolls don't listen to mouthy girls."

I sighed, hoping it screamed disapproval.

The sprawling restaurant was built on a high cliff close to the sea in traditional Japanese architecture and decor. Akifumi greeted us at the enterance with a grateful smile and guided us inside to a large room where an ancient woman sat on a futon. She bowed her head slightly as we sat alongside her futon, feet folded up underneath our bums. "My name is Yae Yoshimi. Ordinarily, I would not make a request like this but I'm acting on behalf of my grand-niece." She said, her voice strong for someone who looked so old. "We greatly appreciate this."

I jumped as the sliding door across from us slid open with a soft "Pardon me", revealing a burly man and a matronly woman, both wearing welcoming smiles. "This is my father, Taizou, and my mother, Hiroe."

"We are honored with your presence." Taizou rumbled warmly as his wife moved to offer us fresh tea.

Once we'd been served, Naru addressed Akifumi. "We humbly wish to hear the details of this case again from your grandmother."

"All right." The old woman was silent for a few minutes, gathering her thoughts. "If I were to speak openly and freely about it you'd probably think me a fool, but this house is cursed. There are horrible legends concerning the Yoshimi house. Great misfortune would occur whenever this house would change hands. Actually when the last owner—my father—passed away, people began dying in alarming numbers." As she spoke, her shoulders slumped. "And when my grandparents died and passed the house down to my father, the same thing happened. I don't remember much firsthand because I was very young. However, among my six siblings, I was the only one who survived."