Chapter Twenty Nine: Kiax City

Start from the beginning

"May I ask what was so special about it?" Tech's eyes never left her face as the pair slowly continued strolling down the wide aisle, pacing a bit farther behind the group now.

"It was on me when they took me to the temple. I think it was from my parents...but I can't be sure," she murmured thoughtfully. "I wasn't supposed to keep it but I always left it tucked into my tunic until, well...you know."

"I see," Tech nodded. "And the Kuat sun? Is that of any significance?"

"It's the main star of the Kuat system, where my home planet is," Cass explained while she blinked away the frost that landed on her lashes from looking up at Tech. "I was born on Gatalenta."

"Gatalenta? I'm not knowledgeable about that planet," Tech admitted.

"Neither am I...I don't really wanna be anyways. I've never visited either," Cass shrugged and bit the inside of her cheek. "I think it would be too hard to go now."

"I understand," he stated curtly.

He didn't understand. For as curious as she was, he couldn't fathom why she wouldn't want to find out more about her origins. If the facts of his own creation were unknown, he would probably research endlessly day and night for answers.

But if there were emotional ramifications he couldn't fully interpret, he was sure to recognize her feelings anyways.

She hummed gratefully with a content grin covering her face, then rhythmically tapped her thumb against his arm as she thought.

"Do you miss Kamino?" she peered over inquisitively.

Tech pondered a moment then glanced at his siblings up ahead. "Not particularly."

Cass furrowed her brows and followed his eye line towards the group. "And why is that?"

"We were created there but I don't recall too many positive memories outside the boundaries of our shared room," Tech answered.

Cass nodded slowly. His comment only increased her desire to learn more about him, but perhaps Kamino was more of a sore subject than she realized, even for someone slightly aloof like Tech.

"Is there anything you miss?" Cass gently persisted, lifting her voice an octave to lighten the tone.

Tech's immediate answer was Crosshair.

The sniper wasn't exclusive to Kamino, but when Tech's thoughts raced back to that dimly lit room surrounded by the loud pattering of rain, all he could think of was his estranged brother.

Every time they would arrive back on Kamino, Tech would suggest modifications to Crosshair's rifle, or Crosshair would ask Tech what new project he was working on. He missed the comfortable silence between the pair, as they were often the last two still awake after the rest went to bed. Tech missed the way Crosshair always listened to his rambles (even if Crosshair wasn't truly listening). He had that conversational quality with Cass now but... nothing could ever truly replace a brother.

Cass sensed a bit of a shift in his energy, though Tech's expression didn't elude to anything concerning.

"The rain...I suppose," Tech replied, his voice a bit quieter and hesitant than before.