Curing Headaches - 4th Edition

KEIGO "HAWKS" TAKAMI | Push Through

You stared out of the window from the apartment bedroom, watching the clouds roll by on this sunny day. In a way, it was a blessing to have windows that stretched from floor to ceiling, but staring with your head upside down from the bed wasn't the cure for this throbbing headache that refused to leave you alone. You groaned and exhaled with a huff, feeling that tension pool to the top of your head. This wasn't helping, in fact it made you nauseous. Pulling yourself back up onto the bed only made it worse, but staring out the window was more exciting than staring at the ceiling.

The sound of the front door opening then shutting sent a stabbing pain in your forehead, the wave of nausea washing over your skull before you tried to concentrate on your breathing instead.

"Dove? Are you home?" called out a voice from within the apartment.

All you could do was mumble in reply as loudly as you could without inflicting more pain onto yourself. You tossed on the bed, feeling the cool linen against your skin that only brought a small hit of relief with your back facing the door. The sound of footsteps edged closer behind you, however, you still laid unmoving, focusing on the feel of the linen.

"The Commission's given some case notes for a future mission," continued the voice before the footsteps drew near. "They're hoping you could give them some numbers..." The voice trailed, but you still laid still, drifting into a doze against the soft plush of the bed.

Hawks stared at your back, curious of your unmoving form while he immediately began to approach you quietly. His hands gently gripped onto your shoulder before a small whimper escaped your lips.

"Where does it hurt?" asked Hawks with a soothing voice.

"Everywhere," you mumbled. "Head."

You felt his hand leave you, his presence no longer there while you continued to delve into the feel of the linen against your head. It was all you could focus on, the tiniest minute feeling if only to keep your mind away from the throb that persisted and knocked again and again. Time seemed to slow for a while, realising you hadn't heard anything more from Hawks until the smell of something warm filled your nose. It was comforting and for some odd reason, it eased your tension until you slowly opened your eyes.

The sunlight had almost disappeared, turning the sky into a dusky orange. You thought it must've been hours since you last saw the sky filled with white clouds that drifted against the sea of blue. Every movement you made felt like you were moving in slow motion, turning your eye towards the open bedroom door to spot someone moving in the distance by the open kitchen. Your vision blurred for a moment until his figure appeared once more, holding a small breakfast table in his hands with a bowl of broth and a glass of water. The bed dipped a little before that same hand gripped you gently on the shoulder, enticing you to turn away from the windows.

"Come on Dove," coaxed Hawks. "Eat up."

You followed his command, slowly rolling over to find the breakfast table on the bed, welcomed by the warmth of the broth that sat there. Against your better judgement, you pulled yourself up, feeling that dizziness hit you like a brick wall. You swallowed the pain, breathing heavily once more until Hawks offered aspiring into your mouth followed by the glass of water he had ready for you. WIthout realising, he began to hand-feed you, taking in every sip of broth into your mouth after he had cooled it first.

It was only this comfortable silence between the both of you while he tended to your crippling headache, halfway into your broth before you lifted your hand to gently grab hold of his.

"Thank you Keigo," you mumbled. "I can take it from here."

Hawks chuckled before he handed the spoon over to you, watching you sip the last of the broth on your own. "We'll talk after you feel a little better to use that brain of yours," he cooed with a teasing grin.