Lifeline

KATSUKI BAKUGOU | Distance Makes The Heart

DING
Hey, do you have a minute?

DING
I want to hang out, like, on the phone, if you're free. If not, that's okay.

DING
What's wrong?

DING
Nothing, I just want to hang out.

You've been waiting for a while now since that last text, your heart racing from the sadness that overwhelmed you. It was a storm inside filled with a tumultuous rage only masked by the numbness that coiled and suffocated your head. You laid your head on your pillow, still with your hand on your phone before another text snapped you out from your anxiousness.

DING

That name flashed across your screen, one that you didn't want to see before laying the phone back onto the bed. The last thing you wanted to see were empty words, filled with no meaning.

DING

You tried to ignore your phone for a minute or two, yet your curiosity only grew, slowly lifting the phone in your grasp while its screen glowed upon your face. Two names appeared, immediately opening the message thread of one of them ignoring the other.

Two minutes.

A twinge on the corner of your lips perked in a smile, a sad one that you felt before you took deep breaths, holding back the prick of tears. Happiness. You thought you felt it, still confused and filled with a disgusting feeling.

RING

"Hey, did I disturb your sleep schedule?" You teased through the tears.

"What is it, Lightweight?" Growled the voice in your ear, bubbling a chuckle in your chest while you curled in bed.

Of course, you probably interrupted his schedule.

"I had the best patrol today," you chirped while forcing a smile, hoping that would keep you from spiraling. "We got to stop a few petty robberies, and I took down one of the biggest lugs you would have ever seen. I mean, he was giant, like colossal. I mean, don't know if you'd be proud or jealous but that's what I call a victory."

Silence. Just dead air. You couldn't hear the usual grumble or grunt in his voice.

"Bakugou?" You asked, still with no response. "Oh come on, I didn't bore you, did I? Okay, if the great future Pro-Hero can't encourage a fellow, I'm not sure that makes for a good role model in your future."

You wanted to kick yourself in the gut.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend," you apologized. "It's late, I asked you if you could hang out since, you know, you guys still have curfew, and-"