Oh God! That's why?

Start from the beginning

I read it again and again. I was right something was wrong that day when she rejected me. She had written she felt happy then why? I kept reading.

"I had to say no to him. I didn't want to but I did. I know you must be thinking why did something so stupid but I can't let a boy come in between Amanda and I. We have always been good to each other and now our sisterhood is at its best, so I couldn't take the risk. Amanda told me at the very first day to stay away from her friends and I remember her telling me few years back how she has a crush on Shawn. I couldn't do it. So, I said some mean things to him and rejected his proposal and now I am feeling so sorry for saying the mean things. I didn't want to but I don't know why I said it."

I couldn't believe what I read. That idiot, stupid girl. Oh my God! So that was the reason she used to ignore me and said no at the prom. She misunderstood it all. I didn't know what I should have done. Should I have laughed or be angry at this girl. I remember Amanda telling me how she had a crush on me at the 8th grade and how fast it faded away. She could have just asked us directly. Though however amusing I found it but now I was a bit angry. So, I decided not to make any move until she came to me first. She wanted her relation to be good with her sister. Fine! So, I won't interfere too.

I went downstairs and gave Amanda her phone. She asked what took me so long and I made some excuse. We all chatted for an hour and so and everyone left but I stayed to help Amanda clean the stuff and Jeremy stayed too. I sometimes feel that he has hots for Amanda and I might be right. So, when Jeremy was cleaning the living area I went to Amanda in the kitchen and frankly asked about her crush on me to which she said," Don't be ridiculous Shawn. I told you it was for like a few months and I decided you were better off as a friend. An annoying one I must add."

"That hurt my feelings." I had my confirmation.

"Can I ask you something though," she said.

"Sure. Anything."

"What happened between you and my sister at the prom."

"Wha.. what what do you mean?" she took me by surprise by this sudden question.

"Something has happened. I am sure about it. I just don't know what. I mean she was all cheerful and... and then she suddenly felt under the weather and she looked gloomy even when she was leaving for India. She just used leaving us as an excuse and you too. You took off from the prom as well. So?"

I knew there was no getting out of this situation and by then Jeremy too came in the kitchen.

"Hey Jeremy. Do you know anything about what happened between my sis and this idiot here?" She directly asked Jeremy and I looked at him helplessly. So, I decided to tell her but not the whole part.

"Okay! So, don't just overreact or anything. Just stay calm and listen okay," I tried to create a peaceful atmosphere.

"You know that would make me more impatient, don't you?"

"Right. So," I cleared my throat and," I like your sister and I proposed her to be my girlfriend at the prom and..."

"You what!," She screamed on top of her lungs. " And you proposed her!" She suddenly changed her posture to normal and said," Well I am not surprised though," Jeremy and I was looking at her like you are what not now. "I knew you had something for my sister. I am girl I could sense it. She is the dumb one in that area. Okay, but if you proposed her and I think, no, no I am sure that she likes you too then what's with you both being like zombies?"

I looked at Jeremy first and replied," Well your sister rejected me. She said a straight no."

"Noooo way! Oh God!"

"Yaa same here," Jeremy said.

"Amanda listen now. Please just don't talk to her about it. She won't feel good about me telling you," I said.

"I know that but this matter needs to be discussed. Don't worry I won't ask her directly. Just like how I got it out from you I will do the same with her."

"It's between you sisters. Just don't expand it."

"Well I will clear it out. I want the couple I was staning from the start to be together."

"That's upto her. I won't say anything. She must have had her reason. Let her resolve it," I didn't say a thing about what I read in her diary. First I couldn't say "Hey Amanda you are the reason for her saying no" and second even if I would say what would I tell? where did I find out? Oh that. Well I just accidentally went to her room thinking it was yours and read her personal diary. No biggie. So, couldn't say anything.

Both Jeremy and I got out of the house and I said bye to Jeremy and went to my house. I promised mom that I would help at the restaurant in the evening until I go to the summer camp. I have been going to this summer camp every year for two or three weeks. Different people of my age or a little younger or older, we meet and do fun activities. It's all fun. This year it would help me to get my mind away from what happened and what I came to know.