Chapter 19 - On Hunter's Defense

Start from the beginning

“It’s just that he appeared troubled while on our way here.”

“Just think of it this way, Ms. Mohr. Even the mountain bows,” smartly answer Paul. He stops in front of golden brown door with silver door knob. There are pots of small palm trees that guard the doorpost, and ‘CEO’ engraved in bold letters outside the door. We must be outside Hunter’s office now.

Whatever Paul meant by ‘even the mountain bows’ did not bother me much. All I want now is to take a seat and rest my feet. I have been walking this long corridor in these pair of 4-inch heel stilettos that Hunter purchased together with the dress. I feel my toes and my heels sore and numb already.

Paul twists the door knob and opens it in the middle. My eyes widen as they lay upon the unique architectural design of Hunter’s office. The style is quite similar with his pent house, minimalist and very spacious. With just one look, one can readily identify it as a bachelor’s pad. There’s a long black leather chaise lounge in the middle. Behind it is his desk with nothing but a laptop, a notebook, and a pen. The walls are festooned with paintings of dark skinned people smiling and dancing in their tribal clothing. Silver and black artifacts are safely kept inside the cabinet made of glass. The floor is carpeted but does not deviate from the three colors that overpower the room. Everything just appears lonely and cold. Not a single photo of Hunter’s family is even detected by my eyes.

“Ms. Mohr, Mr. Stone will meet you here in a while. If you need anything, please press number 1.” Paul points at the cordless phone that is on the side table. “I will be on the other side of the line.”

“Thank you, Paul.”

He reservedly smiles, steps back a few inches from the door, and gently shuts it down.

I immediately fall down the chaise and remove the shoes off my feet. There are security cameras at every corner of the office but I don’t care if the security personnel watching me from their monitors see me walking barefooted. It’s just a relief to stretch my legs and exercise them without those uncomfortable heels. I wish Hunter just bought me flats.

While thinking about the pain on my feet, I am suddenly reminded of the shoes I had prior to falling off to unconsciousness. I am sure I was in my sneakers but now I am totally oblivious as to where Hunter might have hidden them.

It seems that he has more than just a phone to give back to me now.

While I examine the exquisiteness of the artifacts which appear to be remains of an Egyptian stone tablet, I hear the door knob click. I innocently thought it was Hunter but when the door fully swings to open, it was a woman in a black knee-length dress who came in.

Mary Etheridge.

Her face twitches at the sight of me.

I quickly gather myself in complete caution, and make sure I stand erect for Mary to think I am not too surprised of her presence, when actually I am.

“Well, Ms. Grant.” Her hands clasped together. “Hunter is definitely taking this whole thing to another level.”

“It’s not what you think, Mary,” I say. I feel that, once and for all, I have to clear this issue. “Hunter and I…”

“There’s no need to deny. I think James and the family fully understand Hunter’s prime motivation for this.”

“Mrs. Etheridge, you have to know that I don’t intend to marry Hunter Stone.” I have finally given in to my conscience. The hell I care about the pretentions and lies. It is not my fault that my patience for Mary’s baseless assumptions is all consumed by her arrogance.