Chapter 18 - Gray Nights

A night after Kuma loaded up boxes of everything he owned. He looked at the old couch that he laid on occasionally. The cheap lamps to supply light. Then the dresser he just emptied. He didn't have many boxes to begin with. Less than a dozen. Even for just one person that's not much. Every single clothing item, bathroom supplies, hygiene products, and everything were all in there. The last thing two things were in closet. His suit and his baseball glove. He slipped the thick leather glove over his left hand and pounded his fist into it.

Oh Mom. One of the last few things I have to remember you. I'm sorry I can't help Dad. I'm sorry I stopped playing ball. I will make you proud.

~~~~~

It was after school as Kuma was sitting outside chewed up and looking at the wind ruffle the tree branches. Literally doing anything he can to distract him and borrow a little bit of time. Not taking it well at all. He was just a mess. Not ready for the day to smack him in the face. Unfortunately, it's never a good time to solve issues. Best to just squash it and be done with it.

The girls were all standing outside the door. All feeling sorry for the boy.

"What happened to him?" Asked Gen.

"Did something happen to Cutie?" Thought Haru.

"Well honestly a nightmare is going to happen." Sighed Mai.

"Define nightmare. He is being taken?" Gasped Aiko.

"Geez. Not that deep into it. But I'm taking him to see his father." Mai was frightened herself.

"Wait you mean..." Haru froze.

"They haven't spoken in five to six months." Corrected Mai.

"I'm scared for him. You too. This isn't good." Warned Haru.

"Yeah girl. He's a jerk." Agreed Gen.

"I'm fine. I'll calm him down. Though- heck he might need it. Let's go." Mai proposed a new offer.

"But it's your boyfriend." Cried Aiko.

"He's going to need all of us. You know that."

"True."

The girls proceeded to walk over to Kuma. He was still attempting to put his head in the clouds. Though nothing can get passed Mai. She was too bold, blunt, and headstrong for that. "Marik?"

He looked over. "Hey Mai. Girls."

"I know you aren't ready, but we should go."

"I guess..." He got up and looked at the street signs. "It'll be a few minutes you know."

"Honey we have time." Said Haru.

"Yeah. Too much maybe." He sighed.

The girls had to keep a close eye on him. This wasn't going to go anywhere positive. Being a complete and utter wreck before the house was in site. Mai didn't know how he was that bad. To Kuma starring down his father would be staring down the barrel of a military assault weapon. No one knew how this was going to go.

From Mai's point of view, she was nervous about it too. Though more composed. Her mind kept playing those dreams she had.

I told you that you'd be back.

Get your hands off me he's a bastard.

She shivered at the thoughts of Marik in handcuffs as the site of her boyfriend just turned ugly for the worse. This was one of the worst things a boy his age could go through outside of bad health. Being bullied by family and his mother's passing. Surely he was going to have everything smack him in the face in a moment's time.