Chapter 15 - Course of Action

"And why not? You haven't heard of him in months."

"With all due respect, what the hell do you know? It's better this way don't you get it? What idea is next? Foster care? I'll be in the same spot I'm in a year and a half from now. Adoption? I'm damaged goods. Family? None. They hate my father and they hate me. Why? I don't know."

"Well, what do you expect me to do in my professional position?"

"Honestly I'm stumped. It's a rock and hard place. I just know I'm screwed. So might as well get this over with."

"Define screwed Marik."

"Like I said. Move back in with asshole or go to foster care. And after I turn legal age then what? No matter what I'm not playing ball again. And if I stop work what's so sure about me getting those opportunities back with that money. It has paid bills and kept me fed God dammit. And the landlord was nice to me. Should I assume one will cut me a break at my age? Or will I just have to work around the clock and hope I don't get hurt?"

"What insurances do you have?"

"I think I have nothing."

"Stupid!"

"Seriously?"

"You have rights. You left your house one night and then what?"

"Slept outside. It was the dry season."

"And you manage to get a job and place to live when?"

"The next two days. I could have lasted a week. I was well prepared. Didn't like it but that's the case."

"Food, water, and clothing?"

"At cheap, tap water, donated clothes. With rent low I was able to get essentials. And they have shelters with things donated like soap, toothpaste, shampoo. I just have to buy deodorant. Yeah, it's embarrassing. Yes, I get looks all around from people. They ask what they can do. In all honesty let me finish school and work fulltime. I'll be set. For the time being."

"Tell me. After this year you have your eyes on what? What is your plan?"

"Mai's father might have work for me. Choo my other boss might have something. Eat and pay bills."

"If you work too much your girlfriend won't like that."

"That is true. But she knows I have to make a living. Any means necessary."

"You sell drugs?"

"No." Just that one time and Mai slapped the crap out of me.

"Do you steal?"

"No. That would get me caught. Any arrest is to my house, foster care, or sitting in a cell. Might be all three."

"You miss baseball?"

"One of the only things I've loved that I was good at. But unfortunately as you know passions require time."

"Is college a goal?"

"Not realistic at the moment."

"So what is next for Marik Iwakuma?"

"Not really curious or just want to know for the fun of it?"

"I'm very intrigued actually."

And the air went quiet. This straightforward, blunt, and at the same time cutthroat conversation was turning into something else. Something that was either going to ruin your life and put you behind by a year or two, or somehow make things still. Mrs. K glared at him.

"Honestly just keep at it. Working, eating, and pass."

"You do that now. Any improvement?"

"One day buy my own clothes. Skip less meals. Maybe one day take Mai out if I'm lucky. The fact I have her in my life let alone girlfriend is unreal. She can heal someone she is that special. She gets moody but has a great personality."

"And?"

A tear fell. "What else can I say?"

She leans over her desk. "Pull yourself together and let me give you my offer."

"Yes?" He raised his head.

"You see if you can obtain health insurance. Then I expect grades to pass and if there is any absence you come to me. You do that, I keep my mouth shut. I didn't leave a message for your father. This is between us. Got it?"

"Understood."

"Now be the best young man you could be. And take care of that girl. She is your lifeline."

Kuma nods and exits. That shit was grim. But what choice do I have? Always have to come to terms. Landlord term is rent, Dr. Tanaka is stay clean and organized, and Mai well, still trying to figure that out. He has a whole lot on his mind as he exits the office. Nothing went this guy's way it seemed. Just down in the dumps. Putting more pressure on him. And like everything in life, something has just got to give. He walked into the next hallway.

"Hello Handsome." Said a familiar voice.

No. How could she? He turned around. "Hey Mai. Beautiful." Now smiling at the surprise. "How did you..."

"Didn't I tell you not to ask. I can't tell you my ways."

"Saying that you rigged..."

She put a finger against his lips. "Shhh. It's really better not to ask. 'Kay?" She winked.

"Well then, shutting up."

"Good. Sooo, you feel better?

"Very. All because of you Angel. We should get back to class."

"Honey since you have a pass why don't you walk me back to class. I'll give you a reward."

"Reward or not I am kind of not in the mood to work after that one."

"But you struck a deal."

"I know. But it's just to add more stress. Work, school, rent, take care of you."

She wasn't going to let anything slide. Why start now? "Me? I'm a strong independent woman. Why do you need to pamper me?"

"Take you on a date? You've earned it obviously."

She pushed him into a locker. Her chest pushed up against his. "Don't you get it Marik? Honey, I'm here for you. I know what I signed up for. But if I had to choose between you working an extra day and you just being at my house to study, I'd pick the second option. Haven't you noticed money isn't my priority?"

"I have... weird."

"My father may be a doctor, but he taught me these things. Also, a man needs time to develop. Mommy told me that one?" She kissed his neck.

Shivers ran up his spine. "I'll miss you until lunch."

"Me too. Give me a kiss."

"Always."

Their lips locked. This was one more challenge between the two. But if there was one thing the two have changed so far in their early relationship was Kuma was gaining confidence. Mai was becoming more sweeter. It suit her personality better that way. The two were going to need each other more than they thought. It was only, just step one.