The White Violin

Why is it that whenever I might actually be getting some part of my life on track, someone decides to go ahead and screw everything up?

I wasn't really mad at Vanya. She deserved to have her temper tantrum. In reality, I was mad at Luther. That was what I'd been doing most of the day, really. Being mad at Luther was beyond easy. However, when the basement exploded and the phone service went out in the middle of my call with Adrienne, I was pissed.

Diego frowned, "What the hell is going on?" he demanded, "Are those explosions coming from-"

"Vanya," Luther explained, "We need to get to safety outside the Academy."

I shot up, ready to run. We started out to the front of the Academy as the building literally began falling down around us and explosions racked the ground.

"Don't forget Mom!" Diego shouted.

Luther nodded, "Yeah," he turned around and made his way to another part of the house.

I ran. Survival instincts I didn't know I had kicked in and pushed me to find the way out. I got out pretty quick, considering I had super-speed. I heard shouts as Diego and Klaus searched for our mother, then Klaus screamed. My blood went cold, but it was too late. The house was already reduced to rubble, and I couldn't go back in to find them. I started to pace, hoping someone else had made it out, but powerless to find them. Then the shouting started again, and I almost collapsed with relief. Explosions still fired off, and other parts of the house were falling down, but it was further away from where Diego and Klaus were. Luther appeared in the rubble and walked towards me, Allison, Klaus and Diego coming soon after. We were all okay. Except-

First, as the last of the house collapsed, I saw Mum. She blew us a kiss as the building landed on top of her.

"Mum!" I shouted, along with the rest of us (minus Allison).

Diego ran to the rubble, "Klaus, come here! Help me search!"

"Diego, just stop it. Stop," Luther commanded. Diego continued digging, but Luther grabbed him and started to pull him back

"No- what? What are you-" Diego struggled, fighting against Luther.

"She's gone. She's... She's gone, okay?" Luther told him.

"What do you wanna do?" Diego demanded, "You wanna... Wanna... You wanna walk away from this?"

"No," Luther replied.

"What about Pogo?"

Luther's face fell, "He didn't make it."

"What?" I breathed, unable to believe it.

"Vanya killed him."

"But Vanya wouldn't-" I began to argue, but Luther cut me off.

"No, I saw it," he sighed, "Just before we got out."

Diego frowned, seeming especially down, "Mom. Now Pogo."

Suddenly, Five appeared down the street, running over with a newspaper in one hand. He slowed to a stop, gasping for breath, "Guys. This is it. The apocalypse is still on. The world ends today," he said it like it was some dinner date he'd forgotten.

"I thought you said it was over," Klaus whined.

"I was wrong, okay?" Five admitted, "This newspaper, I found it in the future the day I got stuck. The headline hasn't changed."

"No, that doesn't mean anything. The time could've been altered since that newspaper came out this morning," Luther argued.

"You're not listening to me," Five sighed, "When I found it, I assumed this place came down along with everything else. But here we are. The Moon's still shining, the Earth is in one piece, but not the Academy."