Chapter 1: Survive

I wonder how long has it been?

The day I ordered the revolutionary Virtual Reality machine; the NerveGear.

The day I signed up for the beta test of the first-ever VRMMORPG, Sword Art Online.

The day I, along with 10,000 other players logged into the game for the first time on its official release.

The experience was everything I expected and hoped for, until the sky suddenly turned crimson red and the game's creator, Kayaba Akihiko emerged from above in the form of a red hooded figure, announcing that if a player were to die in the game, they would suffer real-world death. Or if the NerveGear were to be removed, it would also lead to their demise.

It didn't feel real at the time. Not that it should. Countless suspicions and thoughts swirled about in my mind. Is something like that possible? After all, it merely used a Virtual Reality machine fit for households, the NerveGear; could it have the ability to destroy the brain of human beings?

But deep down, I knew that the statement is true. Kayaba Akihiko had personally made that clear declaration without even the slightest hint of doubt.

The one and only way to free ourselves from this living nightmare, is to clear all one hundred floors of the game.

This is where it all started.

This is where my story began.

.

.

.

Aincrad 1st Floor

November 12th 2022 / Medai Village inn

Akiri: You ready?

Asked a boy with raven black hair and blue eyes while he was readying his equipment in a small room of an inn, which was shared with his close friend.

He is wearing a red-coloured long-sleeved t-shirt with a leather breastplate over it for some added protection. A harness for his back-mounted sheath is strapped diagonally across his body.

He wears a pair of long black pants with a thick black leather belt to help keep it in place. A pair of dark red coloured boots and fingerless gloves completes the outfit.

Kirito: Yeah. Let's move

Replied another black-haired boy with grey coloured eyes, wearing the same type of equipment as his partner.