Levi and His Friend

and he said, “run!”

“Why are we running?” Levi was breathing hard already and they’d only been running for a few seconds.

“There’s a dragon and a troll in the dungeon. We have to get out. Come on you slow poke.”

Levi’s heart rate sped. He’d never seen a dragon before, just read about them in some of the old history books at school.

“Levi! Hurry up. I can hear them coming. They’re getting closer,” Wes yelled over the sound of the stomping feet echoing in the stone cold dungeon.

In search of the prince’s missing crown, they had found themselves in the deepest of dungeons in the castle. Everything they did was for the money. Was this even worth it anymore? Levi wondered, trying to keep his mind off of his horribly out of shape body.

“Can’t. Keep. Up.” He huffed, bending over to gulp deep breaths of air.

Wes slowed down and called back to his friend. “The door is closing. If you don’t hurry, we’re going to be trapped with the dragon and the troll.”

They started running again, only to find the door slamming shut as they approached it. Levi and Wes were stuck with no way out until the doors opened again in the morning.

“No. This cannot be happening. Wes, what are we going to do? We’re going to die. They’re going to get hungry and they’re going to eat us. We’re going to die. Oh how really don’t want to leave the world this way.”

Wes paced back and forth, trying to figure out a way out while he blocked Levi’s whining. He didn’t even want to be here in the first place. If only Levi didn’t go running after the crown the second they heard about it, they wouldn’t have been in this situation.

“Why did you make us come down here in the first place? You always do this, try to find things just for the money. We’ve done this our whole lives and I’m sick of it, Levi. Sick. Of. It. It’s all your fault we’re trapped in here so quit your whining and let’s try to figure a way out.”

Levi sighed. “Fine, but you didn’t have to agree to it when I told you where I was going.”

“Yes, I did. I’m your best friend. You don’t honestly think that I would be stupid enough to let you go alone. Remember what happened to you last time? Of course I had to come with you.”

Wes was right, Levi thought. They had been on a mission like this before, except Levi of all people, decided that he would venture into the Sea of Mermaids by himself. Not a good idea. Wes and the whole team of Really Awesome Rescuers had to come save him from the entrapment of the mermaids.

“Okay, but there’s nothing we can do now. We’re trapped and we can’t just sit here whining about the last time I got trapped. Excuse me, but I don’t want to die in here. I want to get out, so let’s find a way out,” Levi said.