twenty one

[

[ . . . ]

'WE RAN SOME DNA TESTS. . .' the nurse trailed off, holding a paper in her hand. 'Jiyeon? Is that your name?'

'Jiyeon. . .' she trailed off, testing the word. It did feel right, familiar even. 'It sounds right.'

'Very well, Jiyeon,' the nurse smiled at her. 'You don't remember anything? Nothing of what you were doing the day prior to the incident?'

Eyes casting towards the floor, Jiyeon looked deep into her mind once again, finding nothing but empty space. A small sigh of disappointment left her lips. A tinge of frustration tugged on her heart. She had a hard time understanding why she couldn't remember anything. Granted ━ she knew why, but shouldn't at least a tiny bit of her memory have been restored by now? She had been resting well, doing all the exercises the nurses told her to do, eating well and drinking well. What more could she do? Wait and wallow in her own pity? That did not sound very pleasant, no, rather miserable if Jiyeon had to be honest. 

'No,' Jiyeon muttered. 'Nothing.'

'It's alright, take your time, okay?' the nurse told her, hand on her shoulder.

'Yeah,' Jiyeon nodded, finding slight comfort in the nurse. 

'We're going out for a walk today to test your balance. Will that be all right with you?' she asked, brown eyes twinkling. 

'Sure,' Jiyeon smiled. 

She couldn't remember the last time she was outside. Of course, she still knew what it looked like, the smells and the feeling of fresh air. However, what she couldn't remember was when she was outside, only that she had been outside. The memory was an intriguing thing, working in such abstract ways that even our own brains had a hard time grasping and understanding it.

Jiyeon almost chuckled at the thought. The brain was too complex for the brain.

'Come on then, Jiyeon,' the nurse put her hand out for Jiyeon to take. 

Once outside, Jiyeon inhaled a deep breath, feeling the outside air for the first time in a long time. She held onto the nurse's arm, steadying herself for her balance was not at its peak. Tears almost threatened to fall at the sight of the outside world. Despite gripping onto the nurse for dear life, Jiyeon felt free, free from that room. It almost turned her crazy to stay in there all day. There was no life inside that room, only white. White everything, white walls, white sheets, white utensils, white clothes.

'Your balance is quite good,' the nurse commented, flashing Jiyeon a friendly smile. 

'Thank you,' Jiyeon smiled at her. 'Do you. . . know what happened to me?'

'Not the details no.' The nurse shook her head. 'Although, there was a boy here the day you arrived. He was there with you during the incident.'

'Was he also hurt?' 

'No,' she answered. 'He was fine.'

'Oh. . .' Jiyeon mumbled. 'Will I be able to meet him?'

'Tomorrow, yes.'

[ . . . ]