02 The Departure

"Max, Sellic wanted to talk to you."

After a while, a wizard named Annette interrupted their conversation. Riftan alternated his gaze between her and Maximilian. Visibly relieved, she excused herself and walked towards a group of high-ranking wizards at the table. Riftan knitted his brows slightly at the displeasing sight.

"I already informed my vassals concerning this matter. They will authorize you to step into the southeast territories. My vassals swore to keep their lips sealed, therefore you don't have to dwell on whether this unwelcome news will reach the local. Should you need any favour, please do not hesitate to reach my vassals. They will assist you in any way possible."

Riftan and Hebaron just nodded. Even so, the eastern lords did not have any authority to prevent them from entering the Duke's duchy, as the Remdragon Knights were going under direct order from the king. Riftan doubted the Duke's vassals could keep their mouth shut. However, according to the king, once the news of the dragon awakening reached the ears of the locals, a great commotion would likely follow. The people would become terrified and it could result in a great deal of migration to the north. In the end, the ones who would suffer the most were the eastern lords themselves. Hence, they did not have any choice but to be silent.

"Once we reach there, we will split into small groups and scatter around the border to investigate. We will not travel in a large group or stay in one place for a long time."

The Duke stroked his white beard and asked, "When will you depart?"

"We are planning to leave by tomorrow afternoon," Riftan answered.

"Very well then. We will provide horses and carriages for food supplies and additional equipment, if necessary. I will have the servants prepare them before you leave tomorrow."

".... You don't have to burden yourself. Our supplies are enough for the journey until we reach our next destination."

"This is the least I can do. After all, my daughter is going with you too. This will help to ease my worry even a little bit." The Duke smiled bitterly.

Riftan had no intention of being indebted to the Duke. He knew very well that the narcissistic old man before him just wanted to boast his wealth and riches in front of the audience. With the mouth-watering feasts served on the table, the gigantic crystal chandeliers and candles shone brightly on every corner of the castle, golden armour lined the white walls and hundreds of glass windows surrounded the hall. They were such an epitome of luxury that only a peasant could only imagine.

Occasionally, Riftan was aware that the Duke was just surreptitiously mocking him each time he went to Croix Castle and that was part of the reason he despised him. He knew the Duke treated him lower than a human being.

However, at the mention of the woman's name, he only nodded and agreed to the Duke's unconventional proposal. Even though the Duke was an arrogant man, his genuine concern for his daughter was shown on his wrinkled face. She was his precious daughter, after all. At least, that was what Riftan believed.

Riftan only returned to his room after he saw Maximilian leave the hall accompanied by her maids. Originally, he had no plan to stay too long at the banquet, but he was too immersed watching her talking to the wizards.

Before the journey started, the high ranking wizards insisted on recruiting her for the mission. To investigate the magic surrounding the Lexos Mountain, skilled wizards were required to use search magic. Riftan knew Ruth could use search magic as well, but according to the wizard named Sellic, when it came to the accuracy of the search, nothing compared to search magic by an earth attribute wizard.