54. sweet like honey

Start from the beginning

Gummy Bears were nothing like grapes or nuts, obviously. So maybe Loki... Mobius studied his face. Hard. But so far he seemed pretty intact.

Maybe Loki's first time eating actual candy wasn't going to lead to anything messy, Mobius thought, hoped.

If he only knew how wrong he was.

~~~

Mobius frowned when he met with emptiness after drawing the cabinet in his cubicle open. He was certain he'd stored a couple packs of KitKat there. No, Mobius didn't really have a sweet tooth, but he, from time to time, could use some sweets to distract his mind when the day got too long. He thought, trying to recall if he simply failed to remember his having eaten them before, but really, he placed them right here and never opened the cabinet again until now. The KitKat was mysteriously gone. And no one even came near his cubicle.

Actually, no one but Loki.

No, Loki wouldn't. He didn't even know KitKat, so to think that he would rifle through Mobius's stuff when Mobius was away just for some candy he never even ate before, and therefore he couldn't have known if it was edible at all. That Loki, out of all people, would lower his guard, his high security and severe trust issues like this, just for some candy.
Loki didn't know KitKat, but he did know Gummy Bears, knew how real candy tasted like.
(Mobius still remembered how his eyes lit up, like a kid at a candy shop)

It wasn't like Mobius could start throwing out accusations. He sighed and leaned back against his armchair, thinking. Maybe it was Casey, except Mobius didn't think it was Casey or anybody else but his own variant pet. The mischievous scamp.

~~~

Mobius was minding his own business, typing away on his computer in the cubicle when a familiar voice grabbed his attention.

".... That's bullshit," B-15 sounded frustrated. "You're telling me they all went out on a walk by themselves or something?"

Then another minuteman's voice trying to cool her down. Poor guy wasn't doing a very good job at that, though. Mobius rubbed his eyes, he didn't want to interject, whatever it was that was going on. But someone had to, someone who could talk to her without being yelled at.

He left his desk and approached the scene. "Hey," said the analyst. His presence earned an eyes-roll from his Hunter friend, while the poor minuteman looked like he wanted so badly to excuse himself now. "What's the matter?"

B-15 shoved a bucket of sorts at Mobius, and when Mobius leaned in to look inside, it was empty. He knew that bucket. Miss Minutes always left Hershey Bars in it, so anybody could take one whenever they felt the need for a snack break.

The bucket already being empty when it was only ten o'clock was... indeed, unusual. Especially when it usually went a couple days in a row without needing a refill. So this could only mean one thing.

"We've got a thief among us, Mobius." B-15 said.

"A... thief," Mobius was still processing the informations in his head. It was an unspoken rule, he knew that, because they shared. The maximum was two per person, and that would still leave a handful of candy in the bucket at the end of the day.

"A Hershey thief," Casey chimed in, looking just as frustrated.

"Any suspect in mind?" B-15 still kept her gaze glued to Mobius. She didn't suspect him, Mobius knew that, he also knew who the main suspect in her eyes was. Because Mobius, even if he wouldn't voice it aloud, suspected the same individual as well.

He shrugged instead. "There're hell loads of variants doing task forces around here. Maybe one of them got, I don't know, hungry?"

B-15 chuckled, it sounded murderous. "I think I know just the variant, Mobius,"