five

elle

'Finally' Con said, letting out a deep breath, shutting the door behind him.

'Come on Con, they're not that bad' I giggled as he dropped himself face forward onto the sofa.

'You've changed your attitude Elle! Before you came, Jess said you practically hated them!' Con snapped back.

'Well, they did help me. The least I could do is give them some respect' I shrugged, sipping my 3rd can of diet coke.

'That's enough of that missy. You're acting all childish' Jess snorted, snatching my can away, crushing it up and chucking it in the bin next to her, earning her the finger from me.

'The club in town opens at 10:30. Shall we go?' Con said.

'Yeah sure. I could do with a drink' Jess laughed. 'Go and get ready Elle, I'll pick you up in 30'

-----

What the hell was I meant to wear?

I just got here and Jess expected me to have something that will make someone fall in love with me. Damn, that girl: so stupid.

Luckily, I found my white lace bodycon dress stuffed underneath my pyjamas at the bottom of my suitcase.

I hadn't been eating much in the last couple of days, mostly due to the fact I couldn't afford it, so I squeezed in the dress easily.

I was spritzing my hair with heat protection spray when a knock shuddered my front door.

'It's Jess. Can I come in?'

'Sure, it's unlocked.'

I know what you're thinking. Why would your door be unlocked?
To be honest, I don't know why it was unlocked either.

'Hey, you look nice' Jess squealed, her mouth formed in an o.

'Don't be all cringy and girly on me. I don't take that very well.'

'Sorry'

I applied my lipstick and through my phone and purse into a clutchbag.

'I'm ready' I said, walking into the lounge and switching off the radio as Jess was reading the latest Vogue which I had picked up earlier.

'Where's Con?' I continued.

'Oh, he's with some of his friends. He'll meet us there. We'll take a taxi if that's cool with you?' Jess said, stumbling over her heels as we walked out the door.

'That's cool. Now, let's go' I smiled, shoving the key in the door and triple checking it was locked.

OCD.

---

I could already hear the blasting music and we were 10 blocks from the club.

'Con's got VIP passes so we have to go round the back entrance' Jess said as we struggled out the taxi.

'How the hell did he get VIP?'

'You know, perks!'

'Perks of what?'

'Um, I don't know. You know-' Jess stuttered.

'I can't deal with any more secrets. Tell me later or I'll slit your throat.'

'Wow. What a threat.' Jess laughed as she waved at the bouncer as he let us in.

Instantly, I was flooded with a smell of body odour, drink and the distant smell of sick. But somehow I found this welcoming. It reminded me of home.

'Jess. Elle. Over here' A voice shouted from one of the booths. Con. And about a million of his friends. (Well, only 3.)

'Hey baby' Con said, instantly kissing Jess on the cheek.

'Woah, you've been drinking already?' Jess laughed.

'Yeah, I've ordered stuff for you too.' Con slurred.

'Good boy' She winked then they went back to their usual cringeworthy stuff, leaving me alone.

'What's your name beautiful?' One of Con's friends said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and placing his other hand on my thigh.

'Elle.' I choked. I found these situations uncomfortable when I was sober.

'Fancy a dance?' He purred in my ear.

'Actually' I said, shrugging off his arm 'I think I'm going to get a drink'

'I'll buy you a drink beautiful?' He shouted after me.

Tsch. Good luck with that, loser.

----

'Vodka martini please' I shouted to the bartender, attempting to be heard over the loud music.

Nervously, I swiveled round on the bar stool, looking at everyone on the dance floor, having a good time. Would he hurry up with the drink already?

'Fancy seeing you here' A familiar birmingham accent said to my left.

'Oh brilliant' I snapped 'Is there any bloody escape from you?'

'Maybe it's fate' Brad laughed.

'I don't believe in things like that'

'Well, I do'

'I don't care what you think' I said, sipping my drink and swiveling my chair the opposite way to him.

Quickly enough, I was swiveled back his way by his sweaty hand.

'Do you want to play a game?' Brad chuckled, scanning his eyes over the smoky club.

'I'm done with your sick games Bradley' I said, placing my drink down and attempting to give him my full attention. Why?

'Since when did I give you permission to call me Bradley?'

'Sorry Bradley'

'I swear you're the most annoying girl I've ever met'

'That's me' I sarcastically smiled, placing my hand under my chin.

'You're such a loser'

'Okay Bradley' I smirked.

'Flirt'

'Okay bye' I shouted over the music, grabbing my drink.

'Wait, Elle, wait'

'What now? Don't you have another girl you can annoy?'

'I'm pretty sure I've been with every girl in this club'

Could he get anymore arrogant?

'What do you want then?' I spat.

'I want you to play a game with me'

'Why?'

'Because'

'Wow you're persuasive' I raised an eyebrow.

'It's fun, come on' He whined.

'Okay. I still hate you, and it better not be another one of your dirty twisted games'

'I promise' He said, raising his hands.

'It's a betting game' He continued.

'I have no money'

'It's a different type of game. Look' He said, gesturing towards a couple in the corner, making out in one of the booths.

'I bet you that he will take her home tonight' He smirked.

'This is twisted. And besides, she's not that shallow, she'll stop in a minute'

'Are you willing to bet?' He smirked again. Stop.

Hell yeah, why not?

'Deal' I said, shaking his sweaty hand. Ew. 'What we betting?'

'If I'm right, you have to buy me a drink. I'm you're right, I'll buy you one. Simple'

'Sounds good enough to me. Better get your money ready Bradley because you're going down'