Chapter one

Five years later...

MANGO

Mango had always wanted to go to Jade Mountain Academy. She didn't want to be a stereotypical RainWing, being lazy and sleeping and taking naps every two seconds, but she didn't want to be a stereotypical NightWing, thinking she was smarter and more superior to every other tribe. She wanted to prove it was possible to have the best of both worlds, the stealth of a RainWing and cleverness of a NightWing. She looked mostly RainWing, after all, with her father's constellation of black scales scattered underneath her wings that she couldn't change the colour of, and she could see the future. If she concentrated hard enough, she could see a specific dragon's near future. The colour of her scales usually was an orange-yellow colour, with hints of green, like a mango. Mango had always been 'the one that will be queen' even though she was only five, and she had a feeling her brother, Toucan, was a little jealous of that, even though she would hand over her title with ease, because it was quite a lot of pressure and she didn't feel very queenly. So she was overflowing with happiness when they arrived at Jade Mountain at last.

"Can you believe we're finally here?" Mango exclaimed, bouncing on her talons as they walked through the stone passageways. "I mean, did we really have to wait until we were FIVE?! Some of the students here are only, like, two. I've had so many great visions about this place. Aren't you excited, Toucan!?" "Three moons, Mango, your head is already overflowing with exaggerated thoughts about how amazing this place is, you don't have to torture me with your voice as well," Toucan complained in his usual stuck up 'I'm way more mature than you' voice, swishing his black yellow spotted tail.

Since both Mango and Toucan had hatched under almost two moons, they both had traces of each other's powers, so Mango could feel traces of emotions and sometimes the occasional thought from dragons, and rarely Toucan had brief, faint flashes of big events in the near future. And now, Mango could feel the nervous excitement radiating off Toucan from a distance. And suddenly, she heard a thought from him. She's here. I'm meeting her soon. "Who are you meeting?!" Mango asked, catching up to Toucan. "No one! Stop being so nosy. This is my cave." He swept into a cave with a small chalkboard beside it that said 'Cave #4: Toucan and Marblewing' on it. Mango had seen several visions about Marblewing, the quiet blue and yellow SilkWing-HiveWing hybrid with startlingly bright purple underwings and speckled purple scales along his back. She knew that Toucan and Marblewing would become great friends, sharing the knowledge of what it was like to be a hybrid. Mango quietly walked through the tunnels toward her cave. She already knew what the chalkboard was going to say, but she read it anyway. 'Cave #8: Mango and Ocean' she poked her head into the cave and studied the interior.

On one side, there was a black and green woven hammock and a scroll rack, and on the other there was a pool of water, which had a light blue SeaWing sitting in it with her head poking out of the water, reading a scroll. "Hello," Mango said, walking toward her. "Hi. I'm Ocean. Are your parents Glory and Deathbringer? Mine are Tsunami and Riptide. Glory and Tsunami grew up together." Ocean climbed out of her pool of water and shook water off her dripping tail. "What's it like being a hybrid? I mean, can you breathe fire or shoot venom? Or both?" Mango smiled and answered. "Just fire, but it isn't very strong. And..." she turned her scales the exact same shade of grey as the stone walls behind her. "I can change the colour of all my scales except these ones. She held out one wing, and scattered black dots appeared. She changed her scales back to her usual orange-yellow and hesitated about telling her more. "And I can feel emotions and occasionally hear thoughts from dragons. Also... I can see the future. Pretty well. If I concentrate I can summon visions and see a specific dragon's future. So I, um, know your secret, that you're an animus. But I can promise you that you don't lose your soul, and that we are going to be good friends,"

Ocean gave a little jump and said, "Thank you for telling me." She wrapped her wings around her and Ocean whispered, "Would you like me to enchant something for you? I've already protected my soul." Mango thought for a moment, analysing the possible futures. Finally she answered. "Could you enchant my earrings to take me anywhere in the world? Such as, if I needed to give my parents a message, I could say, 'take me to Queen Glory's palace' and I would be there? But make sure no one that saw me teleport notice if I was gone?" "Of course," Ocean said, then leant and touched Mango's earrings, which were pure silver leaves, and muttered under her breath. "Smart. I did it on my own jewelry too. Now just say where you want to go and if you want the dragons there to be able to see you, for example, 'take me to the Deep Palace and let the dragons there not be able to see me." To Mango it seemed like nothing happened, but she smiled after a second. "I saw Queen Anemone. When you want to be transported back, just tap your earrings twice." So Mango said aloud, "Take me to Sanctuary, and let the dragons not be able to see me."

Mango was instantly transported into a bustling town. Dragons of all tribes hurried about, some hybrids with startling features like an IceWing with colour-changing spikes and a SandWing that had four bright green wings. Dragonets played in the alleys, and the entire town seemed happy. Mango smiled, and tapped her earrings twice. She was teleported back to her cave and she smiled at Ocean. "Thank you," she said, and hugged her. Mango pulled away as she heard the gong sounding from the hall and said, "Let's go meet our winglet."