Chapter seventeen: Talk Block/Secrets

Who am I to say certain things could never happen?

A lunatic?

Yeah. I am.

There's nothing weirder than finding an enemy appealing. It's like peeling a rotten orange to find the fruit inside ripe and plentiful. Deceiving, but great. Really, truly great.

But I did lie. I said I wouldn't do it, but I did.

In the moment that the cold chocolate milk poured down my back, I had the slightest twinge of a feeling. Charlie stared as I sat, taking it all in. His eyes were wide as hell. I glanced back with wet hair and a terrified look, and then...it happened.

I did it. For him. I took that because I didn't want to be who she wanted me to. A girl who wasn't outgoing, didn't end up here because of her skills, wasn't a block in her previous relationship, a girl who swore she didn't have feelings for Charlie....but now sees she might.

It's a thing you so badly want to push out, but it sticks around, naturally. You see him, and just...think.

His hair looks good!

I like his shirt.

He smells good...

What the hell?

While I try to convince myself this is definitely a curse, I keel over when he walks by. That's only in my head.

I can't let this happen. I don't want to be who I am right now. Who I never wanted to be. In desperate measure, the solution is to respond with the mean attitude that inhabited me once before. Goody.

Charlie's POV

After Linda decided to go rogue with Cindy and Mindy, I was faced with a choice. Make peace with her and lose Sloane, or the other way around. Linda was a great person, before everything went down. I refused to believe all of that was gone.

Before I knew what to do, the decision was made for me. All of a sudden, Sloane couldn't stand to be around me. It's like she was allergic. Flustered at my presence, and got away as soon as she could.

When we were together at hockey, she played it real cool. I tried to not care. Only, it bothered me loads. Were we going to have to make up a third time? Well first, I didn't know what was happening. How could I say I was sorry? Also, when was everything my fault? This probably had nothing to do with me, maybe it's personal.

No, it's only me she's hiding from...

Fuck, here we go again!

🏒🏒🏒

Sloane's POV

Hockey Practice - 3:00 pm

The whispers still continued after Cindy's little rumor took off. I didn't care though, I was staying away from Charlie, and that helped diminish things a little bit. The only thing, I was screwing the boy over. I felt bad, but there was no way I could help him understand. He talks, my heart rate goes up. He stares, I freak and leave the room.

I was quite literally pulling his act. The one where nobody else is affected but that one person, and if you try to ask anyone else about it, they're confused. It's not normal behavior.

But I was putting it lightly. Ignoring him, that's it. No name calling, no nothing. I wasn't getting off on watching him try to figure it out like he did to me, rather just thinking things over and trying to suppress any trace of attraction.

My thoughts were interrupted by Coach Orion's yelling.

"COMMUNICATION." He shouted, tossing his clipboard down.