Tanjiro felt guilt swell up in his chest every time he replayed the scene over and over again, overhearing it from the engawa. Ever since that day, Saori had never been the same. He had become colder and even ruder to the maids. Aiya, of course, had never been the same too. Her personality was less cheerful, she is very quiet, and she had been sleeping less. 

Aimi, the maid, had taken this very hard too. She would sniff the lavender scent of Y/n whenever she missed her. Aimi also had stopped being so cheerful and became quiet. Her eyes are always sad and she would sigh more to prevent herself from crying.

Everything had been a disaster ever since Y/n was murdered well, suicided, well, saved Tanjiro. Nobody blamed him for it, but Saori was a bit bitter to Tanjiro which Aiya understood. "I'm sorry about him, Tanjiro-Kun, he's just going through a very rough time," Aiya said silently.

Kigiku Y/n would stay up late to train. She was a hard worker and she sometimes have sad thoughts of Tanjiro and her parents, but most of the time, her focus goes to training. She had become stronger than Kanao this time. Her strength is amazing as Kanao just smiled at that. Every single day, y/n trained for 15 hours a day. Somedays, she would only do 12  hours, or maybe 8 hours, but overall she mostly trains 15 hours a day. "You're doing very well Y/n-san," a soft voice said. 

Y/n stopped in her tracks. "Thank you, Shinobu-san," Y/n nodded politely. "You even mastered your breathing composure, wonderful," Shinobu smiled brightly. "Why don't we have tea and some cookies? It's near the Final Selection day and I would like to give you a gift," Shinobu said as she disappeared in a blur. Y/n speeded in a blur towards Shinobu's office, just like Shinobu. Y/n opened the door and closed it. "Come, and sit," Shinobu smiled as she sipped on her hot tea. 

Y/n nodded and sat across from her taking the hot tea and sipping on it. "Now, since you have been training really hard and that you've been in the butterfly estate for three months, I would like to gift you this butterfly hairpin," Shinobu smiled as she handed her the butterfly hairpin. Y/n's eyes sparkled. "Thank you so much, Shinobu-san!" Y/n exclaimed happily as she tied her hair, half up and half down before clipping the butterfly hairpin on her the tie that held her half-up hair. 

Shinobu's eyes softened. "You look pretty, Y/n-san," Shinobu smiled. "Thank you!" Y/n smiled back. They both ate the plate of cookies and drank their cup of hot tea. "y/n-san, tell me more about yourself," Shinobu said as she place down the cup. "Oh?" y/n asked. "Your boyfriend, where do you come from? Who are your parents?" Shinobu asked. "My boyfriend's name is Kamado Tanjiro, he is a really kind person," y/n blushed as she explained with closed eyes. 

"I was born in Okutama to my parents, Takane Aiya and Kigiku Saori," Y/n explained rather silently. Shinobu nodded and beckoned her to go on. "And... technically that's it," Y/n said. She doesn't have the guts to say that her best friend, Kamado Nezuko is a demon. No, that'd be a disaster. 

"Shinobu-san," Y/n said slowly, her eyes were now half-lidded as her e/c gaze at the shining tea that was shone by the bright moonlight. "Shinobu-san, do you think I'll be able to succeed in the Final Selection?" Y/n asked silently. Shinobu looked at y/n with a questioning look. "Well, of course," Shinobu grinned. 

"You'll be able to do anything if you believe in yourself," she added. 

Y/n looked at her and blinked before she broke into a small smile. "I see," she mumbled. "Thank you for the night Shinobu-san, but I'll be going back to training," Y/n bowed before leaving the room and walking back to the training grounds. The talk about Tanjiro and her mom and dad made her felt homesick. She missed her mom giving her big hugs and her dad taking her out on a father-daughter trip to the city. 

Y/n sighed as she let out a battle cry and swung her sword vertically. 

It's been two days and it's finally the Final Selection day. Y/n smiled happily as she walked with Kanao side by side. They both had matching butterfly hairpins and Kanao wore a pink kimono. While y/n wore a white one. "Kanao-san, we should stay together, alright?" Y/n said. Kanao nodded as she grabbed Y/n's hand. "Together," Kanao repeated. 

[ notes ] : 

- kanao and y/n are the literal best friends icon. nobody can change my mind. period. 

- i will do a q and a if this book reaches 10k, which i know will be fast because considering the fact that this book got 2k reads in three weeks, which is AMAZING. i swear, i'm still shocked till now LOL-- and should i start a discord server? 

- anyone who has a suggestion for this fanfic, pm me! let's see if we could work it out. who knows that it would make the book 100x better! 

- i want to give shoutouts and appreciation to these people : 

aotlover-nat for always voting every chapter. holymotherofchicken0 for voting my book. Galaxy0Ruby for commenting, voting, and pm-ing me which was really nice of her. AlinaMaria261931 for voting my book. Geppei24  totalmente-a-caso Akari_Yuki_15  for always voting on my book. Just_An_Army for commenting on my book, you are amazing. hellomelon8 JessicaLeffew9 for adding my book to your reading list! thank you so much to all my other readers, forgive me if i had not mentioned you but thank you for reading, you all are amazing, gorgeous, smart, and funny!! have a good day and night! 

 hellomelon8 JessicaLeffew9 for adding my book to your reading list! thank you so much to all my other readers, forgive me if i had not mentioned you but thank you for reading, you all are amazing, gorgeous, smart, and funny!! have a good day and ...