15

NINI'S POV- March 5th

I've only been back in Salt Lake for about 2 weeks now, and it's honestly the best decision I ever made.

Don't get me wrong; YAC was a nice school, and I loved to have that opportunity, but acting just... isn't my dream anymore. I talked about it with Miss Jen when she drove me to the bus station, and then I got in the bus and realized I just couldn't leave.

I immediately called Ricky, of course, after visiting Miss Jen back at school to tell her the news. Well, actually, he'd called me first, to tell me he didn't want me to go. To which I responded, that I was on my way to him.

I have the impression that he thinks I came back just for him and him only, which isn't true, but I want to spare his feelings.

"Okay, people, gather 'round." Says Miss Jen. Although I'm not in the musical, I've come to most of the rehearsals after school since I've been back just to watch and to help out. "As we all know," she starts, "It's Carlos's birthday weekend this weekend, so, I wanted to use this time while I sent him to go find some props, to have Seb and Gina explain their ideas for his surprise party!"

Everyone cheers and I grin, just happy to be back around everyone.

Once everyone calms down, Gina says, "As we know, Carlos loves everything to be big. And seeing as we have only 48 hours to plan this, we're going to need help from everyone."

March 7th
Carlos' party officially starts in just over an hour. Currently I'm with Ricky at his apartment, and we're making the centerpieces for the tables. Rickys are turning out a lot better than mine; apparently I'm not too crafty. But I wanted to at least try to chip in at least a little bit. It's weird. Ever since I got back from YAC, I've been feeling so out of the loop here.

"So, I had this crazy idea." Ricky says as we place all the vases in a box.

"Let's hear it," I reply.

"Well, now that you're back, maybe you could talk to Miss Jen about having a role in the musical?"

I knew this was coming. On the day Miss Jen was driving me to the bus station so I could get back o YAC, I told her how Broadway just wasn't my dream anymore. I never told Ricky how I felt, that I didn't love acting so much anymore.

"Well, I don't know. It'd be kinda weird. The musical's already been cast." I say, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, but I'm sure if you just talk to her—"

"Really, it's fine, Ricky." I say quickly, cutting him off. "Besides, without the play I have more time to explore other interests. Do my own thing. You know?"

He frowns. "But with you doing your own thing, and me doing the musical, when will we have time to see each other?"

"We see each other at school. And we always have time on weekends."

Ricky's dad walks in then, telling us it's time to go, and we each carry a box of centerpieces. The car ride there was awkwardly quiet. I was left alone to my thoughts.

Ricky had been being really clingy ever since I got back. At first I thought it was just because we hadn't seen each other a lot when I was at YAC, but he just kinda kept going on with it. It's like I've barely got any room to breathe.

When we arrive at Seb's barn for the party, I immediately leave Ricky's side and go look for Kourtney.

"Hey," I say when I find her setting out the food

"Hey... what's wrong?" She asks, frowning once she sees the look on my face.

I explain to her my dilemma about Ricky, and before she can even respond, we get interrupted by him walking over.

He wraps his arm around my shoulders, and when he isn't looking, Kourtney and I exchange a glance. "I texted Seb a minute ago, and him and Seb should be here any minute now."

I smile. "Great!" I try to say it cheerfully, but it sounds forced. I think he may have noticed, but he couldn't say anything because Carlos and Seb had walked in and distracted him.

"Surprise!" Everyone shouts.

Carlos smiles. "Oh my gosh! Thank you all so much!"

Ricky turns to me and smiles. "This is gonna be a fun night!" As he kisses me on the cheek, and I feel terrible for it, but all I was thinking was: no. It's gonna be a long night.